Wednesday, May 11, 2016

You Love Them As You Love Me

By Beth DeCristofaro
The dispute was so serious that the commander, afraid that Paul would be torn to pieces by them, ordered his troops to go down and rescue Paul from their midst and take him into the compound. The following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Take courage. For just as you have borne witness to my cause in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness in Rome.” (Acts 23:10-11)
And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me.  Father, they are your gift to me. I wish that where I am, they also may be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world. (John 17:22-24)
Piety
Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mmm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Oh, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends
Do you need anybody?
I just need someone to love
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love
Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Beatles, “With A Little Help From My Friends”, MetroLyrics
Study
It is a very perilous journey, God tells Paul.  Jesus prays aloud and in previous passages the disciples hear Him foretelling their future which will be fraught with obstacles and pain.  But eternity is real and Jesus tells his friends that they are loved by the Creator from before creation itself.  And their discipleship means unity with God itself.
Breathtaking.
Cursillo is a community of friends who give us a little help.  And our best friend is Jesus Himself.  Does that not make you feel a little high?  And He wants to love us.  He wants His Father to enfold us with the same love which stood with Him through the passion and lifted him from the tomb.  Hildegard of Bingen understood:  “God hugs you.  You are encircled by the arms of the mystery of God.  You shine so finely it surpasses understanding.[i]
Action
What am I doing to bring forward that divine union of love into the struggling lives of His children and the hurting world?  Give a little help, share a hug, with another of His friends.  Shine.

No comments: