Sunday, June 05, 2016

I Tell You ARISE!


By Philip Russell

Piety

“O LORD, my God, let the life breath return to the body of this child.”  1 Kings 17:21

Study
I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel preached by me is not of human origin. For I did not receive it from a human being, nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ.  Galatians 1:11-12

Action
“Jesus journeyed…As he drew near…he was moved to pity…He stepped forward and touched the coffin…”Young man, I tell you arise!”  The dead man sat up and began to speak…Jesus gave him to his mother. Fear seized them…they glorified God, crying out “A great prophet has arisen in our midst,“ and “God has visited his people.”  Luke 7:11-17

+++++++++++++++++++
So, what did you hear?
What did it mean to you?
What does it matter?
+++++++++++++++++++

Contrast: 

Elijah (a man of God), with a frantic, “Give me your son.”  He climbs into an upper room where he is staying and cries out to God.

Jesus (Son of God) model of composure, peace and compassion, reaches out and gently touches the coffin and speaks with authority over the situation. 

Results:  Both lifeless, young men are restored soundly to life.

So as I ponder these three preceding questions, I think: “What’s this about for me today, in my life?

Here we are just passed Pentecost, Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity and Corpus Christi.  Back in Ordinary (counted) Time.  I feel the “Wind of the Spirit/Breath of Life” blowing. 

Here is Jesus in our midst, waiting to put a stop to the funeral procession in my/your life and speak to our lives. 

He is the Vine and we are the Branches.

Has a piece of your branch withered and died?

Is there a need to be pruned of:  an attitude, a doubt, what sadness, what loss, or even sinful behavior?

Jesus is Action…”I tell you arise!”

Our response in ACTION has to be that of “SITTING UP and SPEAKING” with an exclamation.  “YOU HAVE RISEN IN OUR MIDST, YOU HAVE VISITED YOUR PEOPLE!”  And that my friend, is where the legs of my Tripod get tightened today.

I do not want to let the day go by without mentioning the Saint of the Day.  Saint Boniface.  Born Winfrid, Wynfrith, Wynfrith (c. 675 – 5 June 754 AD).  Benedictine training.  Taught at the Abbey school.  Ordained a priest at 30.  In 716, when his abbot dies, he is invited (or expected) to assume the position of Abbot.  He declines.  Sets out on a missionary expedition.  In 717, Winfrid is renamed Boniface by Pope Gregory II and appointed missionary bishop of Germania.  A bishop without a diocese, for the area lacked any church organization.  He never returned to England. 

According to the vitae, Boniface felled the Donar Oak, the tree worshipped by the countrymen.  Boniface started to chop the oak down when suddenly a great wind blew the ancient oak over.  When the god did not strike Boniface down, the people were amazed and converted to Christianity.  He built a chapel dedicated to Saint Peter from the wood at the site.

Isn’t this a Saint for us Cursillistas to emulate?  He was counting on Christ!  And Christ was counting on him!

This report about him spread, in all the surrounding region.  Luke 7:17…GO and DO likewise!  You are ALIVE!

I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me.” Psalm 30 

This is no Ordinary Sunday…ONWARD!

No comments: