Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Yours Indeed


By Beth DeCristofaro

Jesus said to his disciples: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the Kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?’ Then I will declare to them solemnly, ‘I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers.’” (Matthew 7:21-23)

Piety
God, in so many instances, my words, thoughts and actions are not in sync.  Inspire me with your Grace, Lord, to do not just say.  Urge me with your Spirit to act, not just nod my head in fruitless prayer.

Study
A colleague of mine approached me once and said, “Beth, there is this project I’d like your help on. Let’s meet next Monday and talk about it. I think it would be good for our program and you are so good at this.” Ok, the plan begins even as I am not sure what is next. What became apparent is that the next step is not the meeting on Monday. That day, I texted her to ask where she was and receive a text back reading “Oh, I was asked to do so-and-so by the Boss. What about next Monday?”

Hmm, skepticism crept in but I agreed because the project which was now described to me as a presentation for a collaborating agency would be good community partnership. Besides, I’m a team player and my colleague is all fired up and motivated. Although, she proved not so enthused as to show up the following Monday. Another set of texts then a phone call during which she excitedly told me that she will give me the e-mail address of the partnering Executive Director for me to contact. She suggested that I take the lead because with my part-time schedule it would be advantageous for me to set timeline. And, she continues, the presentation was now changed to such and such; this topic was not connected at all with my role, function or area of expertise.    
Saying is so far from doing.  Being let down by a colleague is frustrating.  Saying “Lord, Lord” without doing the Lord’s will withers the relationship between me and God. After these interactions with my colleague, I have had a difficult time trusting what she says or counting on her. She proved to me that I do not know her. Is that how God views me? 

Action

What promises have I made to myself and my God that lie forgotten?  Shake them off and pray for forgiveness and God’s gracious nudging.  Now do and act.

No comments: