Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Are All Apostles?


By Melanie Rigney

Valentin de Boulogne [Public domain], 
via Wikimedia Commons.

Now you are Christ’s Body, and individually parts of it. Some people God has designated in the Church to be, first, Apostles; second, prophets; third, teachers; the mighty deeds; then gifts of healing, assistance, administration, and varieties of tongues. Are all Apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work mighty deeds? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts. (1 Corinthians 12:27-31)

We are his people; the sheep of his flock. (Psalm 100:3)

(Jesus) stepped forward and touched the coffin; at this the bearers halted, and he said, “Young man, I tell you, arise!” The dead man sat up and began to speak, and Jesus gave him to his mother. (Luke 7:14-15)

Piety
Jesus, touch this coffin that I might arise and give You praise.

Study
As anyone who reads Your Daily Tripod or knows me is well aware, there are a
lot of things I don’t do well: Control my facial expressions. Hold my tongue. Exercise patience. Acknowledge my God-given gifts. Oh, I’m better at some of them than I once was, but still nowhere near where the Lord desires me to be. I suspect many of you could come up with a list like this. For me, it’s a lot easier than rattling off what I think I do well.

Today’s reading from 1 Corinthians challenges those of us who can recite a litany of our flaws.  Paul speaks of the gifts given to the Body, as varied and textured as it is. In one way or another, we do have all these gifts, and maybe what we regard as flaws and rightly seek to improve can from time to time be useful to others: maybe my lack of patience sometimes moves along stalled processes, for example, or my doubtful, quizzical looks help others revisit faulty plans.

Which gifts we have in which situation isn’t as important as exercising them, weak or strong, at every opportunity. May we worry less about exercising them with perfection… and more about offering them with faith, hope, and love.

Action
Make a list of three things you do well… and how you can use them today to bring souls to the Kingdom.

No comments: