Monday, November 14, 2016

Whoever Has Ears Ought to Hear


By Melanie Rigney

“To the angel of the church in Sardis, write this: ‘The one who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars says this: “I know your works, that you have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Be watchful and strengthen what is left, which is going to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God. Remember then how you accepted and heard; keep it, and repent. If you are not watchful, I will come like a thief, and you will never know at what hour I will come upon you. However, you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments; they will walk with me dressed in white because they are worthy. The victor will thus be dressed in white, and I will never erase his name from the book of life but will acknowledge his name in the presence of my Father and of his angels. Whoever has ears ought to hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”  (Revelation 3:1-6)

He who walks blamelessly and does justice; who thinks the truth in his heart and slanders, not with his tongue. … I will seat the victor beside me on my throne. (Psalm 15:2-3; Revelation 3:21)

Jesus looked up and said, “Zacchaeus, come quickly, for today I must stay at your house.” And (Zacchaeus) came down quickly and received him with joy. (Luke 19:5-6)

James Tissot [No restrictions or Public domain],
via Wikimedia Commons
Piety
The centurion said in reply, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed.” (Matthew 8:8)

Study
Just as He did with Zacchaeus, Jesus wants to stay at your house. Today. Immediately. Sounds nice, doesn’t it? Sounds awesome. Sounds like maybe the greatest gift ever.

But you know what’s going to happen next. Jesus isn’t necessarily going to draw attention to how messy the bathroom is or that there’s laundry in the hamper or that the kitchen counter and cupboards need a thorough cleaning. But you know it. He knows it. Are you really going to comfortable letting Him into the disorder? And what if He wants to stay for more than a cup of coffee or a beer? Is it His intention to stay… forever? Won’t that be stressful?

Today’s first reading from Revelation 3 and Luke’s story of Jesus and Zacchaeus the tax collector pair so beautifully… and give us hope. In Revelation, the Lord reminds the church in Sardis and by extension us to be watchful of our sins and to repent. We are reminded that if we have ears, we ought to hear… and that’s regardless of whether the message is uncomfortable.

Just as He did with Zacchaeus, Jesus wants to stay at your house. Today. Immediately.

What’s your answer?

Action
Consider ways you can say yes to hosting the Lord, regardless of the current condition of your house, heart, and soul.

No comments: