Thursday, December 22, 2016

Proclaim the Lord, O My Soul


By Beth DeCristofaro

(Hannah said) “Pardon, my lord! As you live, my lord, I am the woman who stood near you here, praying to the LORD.  I prayed for this child, and the LORD granted my request. Now I, in turn, give him to the LORD …”  (1 Samuel 1:26-28)

Mary said: “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior. for he has looked upon his lowly servant. From this day all
generations will call me blessed: the Almighty has done great things for me, and holy is his Name.” (Luke 1:46-49)

Piety
My Heart exults in the Lord my Savior” (1 Samuel 2:1)
Windsock Visitation,
Bro. Michael (Mickey) McGrath, OSFS


Study
A dear friend of mine, Caroline, was one of those people who just seemed to exude gratefulness.  She could make lemonade out of bad newspaper headlines and she drew people to her as flies to honey because we all loved to be around her.  She had an infectious laugh and a confidence that everything would be alright in due time.  It made her a marvelous, inspiring teacher of boys in Juvenile Detention. 

St Francis of Assisi is frequently misquoted as saying: “Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary.”  Actually, his Monastic Rule instructed: “…All the Friars … should preach by their deeds.”[i]  And often quoted is Meister Eckhart’s “If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.”[ii]

Mary and Hannah both gave thanks and praised with word and deed.  How their lives changed by God’s gracious blessing bestowed on them.  Their action changed the world for all humanity.  Hannah and Mary both gave their sons to God from the bottom of gracious, faithful hearts.  Mary’s words become universal for we have all been given great things by God’s salvific presence, born in a stable.

Action
Reflect on how my actions and decisions throughout my day will proclaim the Gospel and the impact they might have today, tomorrow, for the generations who will never know my name.

No comments: