Sunday, January 15, 2017

God’s Footprints


By Beth DeCristofaro

The LORD said to me: You are my servant, Israel, through whom I show my glory. (Isaiah 39:3)

Paul,…to the church of God that is in Corinth, to you who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be holy, with all those everywhere who call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours. (1 Corinthians 1:1-2)

John the Baptist saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. He is the one of whom I said, 'A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.' (John 1:29-30)

Piety
http://www.carmelites.net/blog/gods-garden-december-19-2016/ 
Study
Jesus is announced and revered in so many ways:  Servant, Lord, Christ, Lamb, the one who took away sin, existent before, is also the glory of God present.  And the heralds, prophets, evangelists tell us that we, too, are called to be holy because he has come before and given us a new life of grace in God.  In the face of such a mighty call to action, it is helpful to remember that His presence is even in the little things of our lives such as kindness, respect, giving.  Those little things are sacred fabric because the Lamb is also our Shepherd.

Poet Rabindranath Tagore put the mystery of our mundane into verse:

GUESTS OF my life,
You came in the early dawn, and you in the night,
Your name was uttered by the Spring flowers and yours by the showers of rain.
You brought the harp into my house and you brought the lamp.
After you had taken your leave I found God's footprints on my floor.
Now when I am at the end of my pilgrimage I leave in the evening flowers of worship my salutations to you all.[i]

Action
In these unsettling times, I picture the Lamb of God coming, reminding me of His call to me, His servant.  Look at the floor of your own life to see and be grateful for those who left God’s footprints.  To whom do you bring footprints of God?  Be gratified, be generous, and leave God’s footprints, show God’s glory, everywhere you step today. 

No comments: