Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Shine


By Beth DeCristofaro

For this reason, I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:6-7)

Jesus said to his disciples, "Is a lamp brought in to be placed under a bushel basket or under a bed, and not to be placed on a lampstand? (Mark 4:21)

Piety
I am only a spark,
Make me a fire.
I'm only a string,
Make me a lyre.

I'm only an ant-hill
Make me a mountain.
I'm only a drop,
Make me a fountain.

I'm only a feather,
Make me a wing.
I'm only a beggar,
Make me a king.
        Amado Nervo[i]

Study
Sts. Timothy and Titus let their light shine.  They were both disciples of another shining Christ-light, St Paul.  Both founded churches and Paul wrote letters to them and their congregations which enlighten us today.  Both men faced persecution, Timothy was martyred.  Their lights were bright enough that Titus is known as the saint of Catholic prayer.

Recently, I watched the inspiring moving, “Hidden Figures.” It was well-crafted, entertaining and so very educational.  Having grown up in Virginia it was hard to watch much less admit to the scenes of “colored only” water fountains and restrooms and so-very-overt attitudes of condescending racism that were (and are) powerful and pervasive in my lifetime.  The lights of the three protagonists burned so brightly and fueled with such moral potency that despite impediments they persevered and became leaders and models.  What also touched me was that their efforts and principle – lights – showed the way for others.  They brought along friends and families as they overcame.  They did not forge ahead alone leaving others behind.  Shine! Christ says! Shine with the grace and blessings which I bestowed upon you in my life, death, and resurrection.   

Action
As St. Therese said “we are the hands and feet of God” here on earth.  We are also the light of Christ here on earth.  To whom have you been a bushel basket?  How can you listen to Christ’s bidding to bear witness to Him?  He will help you and help them shine.

No comments: