Saturday, February 25, 2017

Trust in Him at All Times!


By Sam Miller

I will never forget you. (Isaiah 49:15b)

Brothers and Sisters: Thus, should one regard us: as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. (1 Corinthians 4:1) …being found trustworthy (4:2b)…the One who judges me is the Lord (4:4b)…He will bring to light what is hidden and will manifest the motives of our hearts. (4:5b)

Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life (Matthew 6:25a) …Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span? (6:27) …Your Heavenly Father knows that you need them all (6:32b) …what you will eat [or drink], or about your body, what you will wear (6:25b) …Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. (6:34a)

Piety       
With God is my safety and my glory,
He is the rock of my strength; my refuge is in God.
Trust in Him at all times, O my people!
Pour out your hearts before Him.  AMEN! (Psalms 62:8-9)

Study 
So often, I find myself wondering about the scholars, theologians or appointed council of Holy men whose task it was to figure out the Scripture readings for Mass.  I’ll be ever thankful I wasn’t part of it because then I wouldn’t be able to question the decision of where to start and stop the reading!!!

Take, for instance, our first reading today from Isaiah, why only verses 14 and 15 of chapter 49?  Why couldn’t it have included verse 13 (“Sing out, O heavens, and rejoice, O earth, break forth into song, you mountains.  For the Lord comforts His people and shows mercy to His afflicted.”) and verse 16 (“See, upon the palms of my hands I have written your name; your walls are ever before me.”)?  After all, those verses are also under the heading, “The Liberation and Restoration of Zion”.  Doesn’t seem too hopeful and trusting to believe the Lord has abandoned or forsaken you, O Zion!

The second reading, from 1 Corinthians 4 should be written on the inside of my eyelids as a daily challenge prayer.  Oh, that I could close my eyes and read that message to not judge others or myself but to focus on staying on the right path.  When Jesus, my Lord, judges me, I pray to be found a trusted keeper of God’s mysteries and servant of Christ.

As for the Gospel reading from Matthew, under the heading of “Dependence on God”, the message to me is all about that, relying on God.  To trust in God means to let the worrying go, right?  Do I believe God knows everything I need before I know to ask Him about or for it?  Of course, I do!!  This trust and belief, to me, echoes the Piety prayer from Psalms, to trust in God AT ALL TIMES!!

Action 
Knowing God IS in control, I’m going to practice trying to not even pick up the remote.  Staying tuned into God’s channel and trusting Him through the day is my goal.  Can I get an AMEN!?!

No comments: