Saturday, March 25, 2017

My Shepherd


By Phil Russell

Piety
"The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want." Psalm 23

Study
"You were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light." Ephesians 5:8

Action
"Go wash in the Pool of Siloam." John 9:1-41

It's all about contrasts. Darkness/Light. Sleep/Awake. Blindness/Sight. Clay made with Saliva/dirt. Staying/Going. 

And Jesus declares, "While I AM in the world, I AM the light of the world." In this time of preparation for the Easter Sacraments, we look at the symbols that are used in the application of Grace for the Elect. Last Sunday, it was WATER; today is OIL.

From David's anointing as King to this very base application of SACRED saliva and dirt.

We, by virtue of our Baptism, are called to walk as Children of Light. The Lord is our Shepherd. 

I learned a wonderful story from a Scottish shepherd. He told of the shepherd's action of "tabling'" a hurt or sick sheep. The Shepherd, on finding a hurt or sick sheep, would take his rod and staff, along with his cloak or outer garment and build a makeshift "lean to". This would act as a protection from the elements of wind or rain, while the shepherd worked to restore the sheep to its' feet. Isn't that what Jesus does for each and all of us. He "tables" us with his rod and staff, as he anoints us with His Grace and Healing care. 

CONTRAST. SICK/RESTORED!

In contrast, read and pray this beautiful Psalm 23 Antithesis by Marcia K. Hornok, which appeared earlier this month in the Daily Tripod.

The clock is my dictator, I shall not rest.
It makes me lie down only when exhausted.
It leads me into deep depression.
It hounds my soul.
It leads me in circles of frenzy, for activities sake.
Even though I run frantically from task to task, I will never get it all done,
For my ideal is with me.
Deadlines and my need for approval, they drive me.
They demand performance from me, beyond the limits of my schedule.
They anoint my head with migraines,
My in-basket overflows.
Surely fatigue and time pressures shall follow me
All the days of my life.
And I will dwell in the bonds of frustration
Forever
--Marcia K. Hornok, Discipleship Journal (Issue 60, 1990), 23.

ACTION. "GO...CHRIST IS COUNTING ON YOU."

No comments: