Thursday, April 06, 2017

My Word is Life

Unity-A Prayer by Mollie Walker Freeman
https://repurposefulpainter.wordpress.com/
Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent

By Beth DeCristofaro

When Abram prostrated himself, God spoke to him: "My covenant with you is this: you are to become the father of a host of nations. No longer shall you be called Abram; your name shall be Abraham, for I am making you the father of a host of nations.  … I will maintain my covenant with you and your descendants after you throughout the ages as an everlasting pact, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you.  (Genesis 17:3-4, 7)

Jesus said to the Jews: "Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death." (John 8:51)

Piety
“During this Lent, then, brothers and sisters, let us all ask the Lord: ‘Fac cor nostrum secundum cor tuum’: Make our hearts like yours (Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus). In this way, we will receive a heart which is firm and merciful, attentive and generous, a heart which is not closed, indifferent or prey to the globalization of indifference.”  Pope Francis’ Lenten Message, 2015[i] 

Study
A good friend delightedly told me that her young son promised, “Mommy, I want to live with you always even when I’m married!”  Others of our children and friends-for-life move away to stretch their wings and discover themselves.  We keep in touch wanting that special bond to hold.  Wild creatures must learn to care for themselves independently of mother and father in order to survive. 

But not humans.  We are independent, sure, but thrive in interdependence.  It takes work to realize our own selves and harder work to nurture relationships that help us grow and become the best of ourselves.  I think with some sadness on those I have “let go” throughout my life.  Some people I naturally grew away from and some, from neglect or choice, I let the rapport wither.  Occasionally I pray for them even if I haven’t been in touch for decades because each impacted who I am today.

God the Creator, Infinite, Source of Life works hard at being connected to us.  God offered Abraham an everlasting pact.  God led Abraham’s descendants to freedom.  God upheld their nation, calling them back to themselves and the covenant when they sinned and turned away again and again and again.  Here Jesus works hard to reconnect with His people although what he says upends the belief system of the leaders.  “I am” life, “I am” even before Abraham.  “I am”.  They cannot accept his offer.  Can we?  Are we letting neglect or choice creep in to wither our holy rapport with the Lord of our eternal life?

Action
“Lent helps us and thus we leave behind old habits and the lazy addiction to the evil that deceives and ensnares us.” – Pope’s General Audience, March 5, 2014[ii] – What addiction is in my life that keeps me from hearing clearly and following nearly Christ’s Word of Life?  Pray, pray, pray for Jesus’ help then fast from this addiction for the rest of Lent.

[i] Pope Francis’ 10 Tips for Lent, https://focusoncampus.org/content/what-should-i-do-for-lent-pope-francis-10-tips
[ii] above

No comments: