Thursday, July 27, 2017

“Convert and Heal My Heart” by Beth DeCristofaro

…the LORD added, "Go to the people and have them sanctify themselves today and tomorrow. Make them wash their garments and be ready for the third day; for on the third day the LORD will come down on Mount Sinai before the eyes of all the people." (Exodus 19:10-11)

You shall indeed hear but not understand, you shall indeed look but never see. Gross is the heart of this people, they will hardly hear with their ears, they have closed their eyes, lest they see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their hearts and be converted and I heal them. (Matthew 15:13)

Piety
Open my eyes, Lord
Help me to see your face
Open my eyes, Lord
Help me to see

Open my ears, Lord
Help me to hear your voice
Open my ears, Lord
Help me to hear

Open my heart, Lord
Help me to love like you
Open my heart, Lord
Help me to love

And the last shall be first
And our eyes are opened
And we'll hear like never before
And we'll speak in new ways
And we'll see God's face in places we've never known

I live within you
Deep in your heart, O Love
I live within you
Rest now in me
 “Open My Eyes”[i]  http://wordtoworship.com/song/9381

Study
From the dawn of time, God invites humans to be in relationship with divinity and with each other. We are so relational. Time and again more comes from the relationship than just an A + B = C.

Recently our cousin met a new neighbor while moving into a 55+ community. As my cousin’s home was being built this new neighbor invited her for lunch or to sit in comfort while waiting for contractors. They began to trade stories and realized that this was more than nascent friendship. They discovered that they are “long lost” cousins. Grandfathers who were brothers lost touch with each other due to distance. Now, almost one hundred years later, granddaughters will be neighbors, a God caress not only unlooked for but a reunion for those who did not even realize they had “lost” their relatives.

Friends with whom we keep in touch through social media now that their retirement home is far away called us to tell us about another God moment revealed in an ordinary encounter between people. Our friends were making small talk with another couple, passing the time while waiting, only to hear mention of what they recognized as our Alma Mater. Our friends relayed to us the contact information for two former college friends not heard from in over 30 years. New friendships forging, old friendships rekindling. Let those who have eyes see, let those who have ears hear.

Action
Jesus’ graciously welcomes: be converted and I heal them. How can we reach out today to someone, perhaps with whom we do not agree? Listen to her, look at him, allow her/him – child of God – to touch our hearts?

[i] “Open My Eyes”, Jesse Manibusan, Copyright: 1970, 1988, 1998 spiritandsong.com


No comments: