Saturday, September 23, 2017

“Laboring in Joy for Our Daily Wage” by Beth DeCristofaro

 
2016 floods in Johannesburg, South Africa
…turn to the LORD for mercy; to our God, who is generous in forgiving. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD. As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:7-9)

'Summon the laborers and give them their pay, beginning with the last and ending with the first.' When those who had started about five o'clock came, each received the usual daily wage.  So when the first came, they thought that they would receive more, but each of them also got the usual wage.  And on receiving it they grumbled against the landowner, saying, 'These last ones worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us, who bore the day's burden and the heat.' He said to one of them in reply, 'My friend, I am not cheating you.  Did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage?  Take what is yours and go. What if I wish to give this last one the same as you?  Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?  Are you envious because I am generous?' Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last." (Matthew 20:10-16)

Piety
Oh, My most Holy Lord.  Help me to conduct myself in a way worthy of the gospel of Christ. (from Philippians 1:27A)

Study
Houston and Rockport, TX, Barbuda and Puerto Rico, Naples, Fl, Chiapas, Puebla and Oaxaca, Mexico, Southern India.  We have no few examples this month alone of the need for more laborers than the work calls for.  No doubt that rescue workers who took two days after a disaster to arrive or even a week later were as appreciated by victims as those on the ground in the immediate aftermath.  God’s grace prompted the call, trust in the ability to help whether by profession or will (or the handy huge-tired vehicle sitting lonely in a garage!) answered the call. 

Trust, Jesus says, in God’s generosity which is beyond understanding.  Rather than focus on what is earned by our efforts Jesus suggests we hope for God’s immense open-handedness, God who calls us to the labor in His Vineyard. We will never be stiffed or shirked but rather paid out beyond what we imagine our own worth, efforts or birth warrant us to deserve.  One might imagine Him saying am I not free to do as I wish with my own creation?  Do you wish to limit my generosity?' Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last."

Action
What prompts envy in me rather than generous labor?  Spends some quiet time with Christ to hear his call to the vineyard.  Labor with joy amidst others knowing my daily wage will be given to me.



No comments: