Tuesday, September 26, 2017

“Those Who Hear the Word of God and Act on It” by Melanie Rigney (@melanierigney)

Tuesday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time

The exiles kept the Passover on the fourteenth day of the first month. The Levites, every one of whom had purified himself for the occasion, sacrificed the Passover for the rest of the exiles, for their brethren the priests, and for themselves. (1 Timothy 3:1)

Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord. (Psalm 122:1)

The mother of Jesus and his brothers came to him but were unable to join him because of the crowd. He was told, "Your mother and your brothers are standing outside and they wish to see you." He said to them in reply, "My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it." (Luke 8:19-21)

Piety
Lord, may Your grace feed me.

Study

Back in April or so, I signed up for the bell choir at my parish. I’ve never played
Photo Courtesy of U.S. Army,
Photographer Joyce Costello
[Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
bells, and I have no formal training in music, but it sounded like fun and like a challenge. I intended to do it, really I did. But the summer came and went and I made a lot of commitments for the fall and winter. By the time I got the email about weekly bell choir practice beginning in October, I decided it just wasn’t among my priorities right now, and bowed out. Maybe next year, I told myself.

It’s easy to be that way about our faith too. Hearing the word of God is kind of like signing up for the bell choir. When we hear the readings or study our spiritual resources, it seems like a good idea to spread the Good News to those who have little interest in hearing it, to reflect Christ to the homeless, the sick, the people in our family or neighborhood or workplace we find challenging. So we pass up one opportunity, then another each day. Maybe next time, we tell ourselves.

It’s an important verse, Luke 8:21. Essays and probably books have been written about the earlier parts of the passage: Who were Jesus’s brothers? Was the reaction of Mary to the statement? Are we truly to disregard those we love in the way we put God first? Fine questions, all. Great discussion topics. But when we focus on them, we lose track of the challenge Jesus throws down to those who hear the Word: Act on it. Make it a priority right now.

Action
Undertake a corporal or spiritual act of mercy today that makes you uncomfortable. Don’t wait for next time.

No comments: