Saturday, October 07, 2017

His Vineyard by Phil Russell

 
“Let me now sing of my friend, my friend’s song concerning his vineyard. My 
friend had a vineyard on a fertile hillside; he spaded it, cleared it of its stones, and planted the choicest vines.” Isaiah 5:1-2B


Piety
“Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.” Philippians 4:6

Study
“Jesus said to them, “Did you never read in the Scriptures: The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.” Matthew 21:33-43

Action
“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you.” Philippians 4:8-9
 
So, a modern-day application.

I had applied for a job in the Vineyard, not only was I “rejected by the builders” but I was also told to “go away.”  A brutal experience. I had thought about leaving the Vineyard, but it just didn’t fit me. A friend suggested that I see a friend of hers, a laborer in the Vineyard.  I took her sage advice and went off to see her friend.

I told the man my story. He asked me who was the person. I told him. He reached out with both his hands and said: “May I ask your forgiveness on what my confrere has done to you.”

With my hands in his, the tears began to flow. Healing and Peace were beginning. He then said to me: “Take this to JESUS, the stone rejected by the builders. He knows what you have undergone.”

I did. I stayed in the Vineyard. I knew that “whatever is true, or honorable, or just or pure” that was where I had to place myself aligned with this one CORNERSTONE.

Piety was restored in that Sacrament that day. The pain did not diminish. I Studied the Environment. I took Action. In understanding. In forgiving.  In continuing to “labor in the Vineyard.”

I spaded the hillside. I cleared stones. I worked at planting.

“Then the God of Peace was with me.”

You see: “HE is THE VINE, I was a branch. It was about “abiding.” It was about “with-ness.”

The Parable was really about the “excessive” Compassion and Mercy of a GOD, so much bigger than any circumstance.

And there is a “communion” in COMMUNITY! 

My “friend” was singing a song concerning, his Vineyard.  

(Image credit: A vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mountains by the author.) 

No comments: