Monday, October 23, 2017

“Ready to Open Immediately” by Melanie Rigney


For just as through the disobedience of one man the many were made sinners, so, through the obedience of the one the many will be made righteous. (Romans 5:19)

Here I am, Lord; I come to do your will. (Psalm 40:8a,9a)

"Gird your loins and light your lamps and be like servants who await their master's return from a wedding, ready to open immediately when he comes and knocks. Blessed are those servants whom the master finds vigilant on his arrival.(Luke 12:35-37)

Piety
Lord, may You find me ready, today and always.

Study
Back in my teens, I was precisely the kind of babysitter parents wanted to hire. I played with the kids, changed the diapers, prepared and doled out the snacks, and got everyone to bed on time. My friends, male or female, didn’t come over, and I didn’t chat on the phone. Small wonder, then, that my weekends were booked weeks in advance. Oh, and I didn’t fall asleep, even when the parents said they’d be out late and to feel free to nap on the couch after the kids were zonked out. I was too concerned about my charges’ nightmares and the slight potential for fire, lightning, tornadoes, intruders, you name it.

Would that I had been as concerned about being ready for the Lord.

I pretty much ignored Him for decades, consciously and unconsciously. Fortunately, once a series of whirlwinds awoke me, I’ve tried hard not to fall back asleep.

But it’s hard, isn’t it? Constant vigilance takes a lot of mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical energy. Would just a little gossip or negativity really hurt anything? Would letting just one day of not saying hello to the man playing the horn at the metro stop really hurt anything? Would holding fast on Commitment Sunday despite a bit of a raise or other financial gain really hurt anything?

Only, I guess, if you lack inside knowledge about when your earthly death or the Second Coming is coming… and if you’d be a bit uncomfortable explaining to the Lord that it was more important to you to sleep than to keep that lamp lit while you were waiting for Him.

Action

Make a list of behaviors that make you spiritually sleepy and unready. Pray for the Lord’s guidance in avoiding them.

No comments: