Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Rebuild It


“How could I not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been eaten out by fire?" The king asked me, "What is it, then, that you wish?" I prayed to the God of heaven and then answered the king: "If it please the king, and if your servant is deserving of your favor, send me to Judah, to the city of my ancestors' graves, to rebuild it."  Nehemiah 2:3B-5

And another said, "I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home." Jesus answered him, "No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God."  Luke 9:61-62

Piety

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Study
Earlier this week, Jesus highlighted a young, powerless child who is fully reliant on others as the model for our discipleship.  Today, he drills home that point by stressing that nothing should come before our reliance upon God.  Not family commitments.  Not jobs. Nothing. He goes on warn us that that discipleship will not be a rose garden. If the Son of Man has nowhere to lie his head, then neither will the disciples who follow him.

Action
Do we ever need the Memorial of St. Francis!  Right NOW!

Puerto Rico and Houston and parts of Florida and other areas have been devastated by hurricanes.

Mexico is reeling from two earthquakes.

Western states are starting to get snow and rains to quench the wildfires.

Nuclear-tipped sabers rattle between North Korea and the US.

And now, the playground of America, Las Vegas, is still treating the wounded and notifying next-of-kin to the 59 who died in a blizzard of gunfire Sunday night.

St. Francis, we need you now. In the spirit of your rebuilding the church in the 13th century, we need to rebuild our sense of civility and love toward each other. In the face of evil, we see incredible outpouring of love.  Yet we still have to overcome the ways evil is manifest in our world.

Make me a channel to bridge traditional and progressive.

Where there is authenticity, let me sow inclusion.

Where there is social justice, let me sew a seamless garment of life.

Where there is fidelity, let me sow commitment.

O Divine Master, open the ears of our hearts so that we can live in each other’s shoes. 
Assisi, March 2008

No comments: