Sunday, December 31, 2017

“Reflecting on Them in Her Heart” by Wayne Miller

“Reflecting on Them in Her Heart” by Wayne Miller


But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to ransom those under the law, so that we might receive adoption. As proof that you are children, God sent the spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” So you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir, through God. Galatians 4:4-7

In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets; in these last days, he has spoken to us through the Son. Hebrews 1:1-2

 And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart... Luke 2: 19

Piety
Abba Father, you have taught me in so many ways to live every day in the spirit of “YES” that moved Mother Mary to accept your gracious offer to bear you into this world. Help me also to live her contemplative life, keeping all things in my heart and reflecting on their connection and consequence to my “YES” to your loving offers.

Study
A recent reflection I heard compared John, the Beloved Disciple, to Simon Peter as they ran to the tomb on Easter morning. The younger Beloved outran the elder Leader. The reflection likened the younger to Love, always spontaneous and ready to rush in; while the Leader carried the weight of his Office, moving with deliberate haste which cares for all of God’s children, carefully considering the impact of each event/action on the whole community, loving every member, even the sluggish of heart.

As a spontaneous “Lover”, I want to say “YES” to every loving opportunity. And I’m mostly impatient with the bearers of Office that do not seem to have nearly the evangelical enthusiasm that I feel. Mother Mary’s “YES” was a Lover’s response, but she spent the next 33+ years holding all the consequences of her “YES” in her heart, loving the utterly helpless infant that God gave her into Emmanuel (God among us!), following Him all the way to his gruesome murder, then celebrating with Him as His Life came to full fruition.

I am so thankful that God speaks to me directly and personally through the life and words of His Son. The Joy and Excitement of each next “YES” opportunity are exquisite! I am also thankful that I have Mother Mary encouraging me to contemplate all the moments of my life and how they connect to my Abba’s will and word.

Action
As I consider this first day of 2018, what “resolution” will I declare to become more like God’s Lover/Bearer to my world? How will I keep my heart and ears and eyes clear and tuned to hear and answer His next call? My Cursillo brothers have been urging trips to Adoration with a listening, quiet head and heart. Silence has not often been fruitful or possible for my busy-buzzy brain. If I say “YES” to this call, is this God’s next opportunity to teach me something I have spent decades failing and avoiding?

Mother Mary, teach me to embrace silence in the Precious Presence of your Son – in all His Amazing Manifestations.

De Colores!


No comments: