Sunday, December 10, 2017

”The Glory of the Lord Shall Be Revealed” by Melanie Rigney (@melanierigney)

”The Glory of the Lord Shall Be Revealed” by Melanie Rigney


A voice cries out: In the desert prepare the way of the LORD! Make straight in the wasteland a highway for our God! Every valley shall be filled in, every mountain and hill shall be made low; the rugged land shall be made a plain, the rough country, a broad valley. Then the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all people shall see it together; for the mouth of the LORD has spoken. (Isaiah 40: 3-5)

Lord, let us see your kindness, and grant us your salvation.  (Psalm 85:8)

Do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like one day. The Lord does not delay his promise, as some regard "delay," but he is patient with you, not wishing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:8-9)

And this is what (John) proclaimed: "One mightier than I is coming after me. I am not worthy to stoop and loosen the thongs of his sandals. I have baptized you with water; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." (Mark 1:7-8)

Piety
Lord, open my ears that I might hear You. Open my eyes that I might see Your glory. Open my soul and make my way to you plain.

Study
For some people, Advent really starts when the candles are lit. For others, it really starts when the tree is up and the house decorated (don’t start in about why you should wait to do that). For me, it really starts when I listen to the Isaiah parts of George Handel’s “Messiah.” It’s impossible for me to study Isaiah without hearing Handel’s music. Together, they are like anything else holy—every time you regard it, you learn something new.

That happened to me as I sat down to write today’s Tripod, more than two decades after my first sing-along “Messiah.” This time, I didn’t think about the exiles’ way literally being made straight, or of John the Baptist preparing the way of Jesus, as we read in today’s Gospel from Mark. No, I thought about this a bit more personally, more intimately. We are all in a desert here on earth—sometimes, more parched and desolate than others. Our paths can be crooked, our valleys deep, the mountains seemingly impossibly high. The way may include people who have grievously wronged us, sometimes intentionally and just for sport. It may include cruelty and pain. It may include despair and bitterness and loneliness.

Or we can invite Him in as our traveling companion—fully. We can surrender to His direction, without concern about the time or the length of the trip. And when we have the faith and courage to do that for even a few seconds, we see and feel and taste the difference. The sourness of regret dissipates. The burden that was so unbearable, that hurt our shoulders just to think about it, falls away. The pained breathing stops and our lungs and chest open up. The relief may be brief at first. But the more we believe, the more we trust, the better we feel, even if not one of the difficult situations changes in any visible manner.

And that is a way of living to which we can all aspire, regardless of whether the candles are lit or the tree is up or the music is on.

Action
Look for the glory of the Lord today in a situation that causes you pain. Find comfort in Him.

Image credit:  By George Frideric Handel 1685–1759 [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments: