Saturday, January 06, 2018

“Who Do You See?” by Wayne Miller

“Who Do You See?” by Wayne Miller


We saw his star at its rising and have come to do him homage. Alleluia! (Matthew 2:2)

…After their audience with the king, they set out. And behold, the star that they had seen at its rising preceded them, until it came and stopped over the place where the child was. They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house they saw the child with Mary his mother. They prostrated themselves and did him homage. Then they opened their treasures and offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. (Matthew 2:1-12)

Piety
Abba Father, Brother Jesus, Ruah Spirit, thank you for being the ever-patient, Loving Triune God living at my very center and throughout the whole universe.  Thank you that every day, we rise together and live the most wonderful adventures and share this world with all your precious children.  Teach me to respond in every moment with YES to your call to believe and serve and forgive and love.

Study
Who did the Magi see?
“…on entering the house, they saw the child with Mary his Mother.”

I see so many creche depictions of “the child” as a very mature, golden-haired, 4 or 5-year-old, smiling beatifically with outstretched arms, welcoming and inviting and blessing all who come to him.  A confident and competent Child King, at ease with majestic largess for all his supplicants.

Anyone seeing him would indeed have to be slow-witted not to recognize GOD AMONG US!!

But the Jesus that I know as my Brother and Savior and constant Companion, presents a significantly different demeanor.  While He certainly is my steady rock and firm grip in the midst of life’s storms and joys and tragedies, I have never experienced Him as a powerful, benevolent, sword-wielding, knight-on-a-white-charger, clearing a path for me to walk untouched, unharmed, and unafraid through the chaos of my life.  He is simply the Presence with me, the Brother by my side, the Coach/Counselor telling me that TOGETHER, we can do – or at least survive – anything.

When I look at Him, I see only simple, persistent, accepting, forgiving, patient LOVE.  When I look at Him, my rational brain wants to ask how this little guy will ever help me do this?  And He just smiles and waits for me to say “YES” and take the next step.  And when I do, the miracles start happening.

I believe that is what the Magi saw during their visit to the manger.  These men of science and wealth and intellect traveled enormous distances under difficult, hostile conditions, trusting their interpretation of a celestial event.  They found a Jewish teenage mother, her carpenter husband, and a helpless new-born housed in a stable – and they believed and said “YES”!

It was the same irrational YES that powered the Incarnation, that moved Joseph to accept his pregnant bride, that moved Simeon and Anna to rejoice at Israel’s salvation, and that empowers my YES every day, making irrational decisions to love and do as I am called. 

And it is a helpless infant and a murdered rabbi that stand with me in the consequences of each YES, proving to me the next glorious Resurrection.

Action
Sitting here in the starting gate of 2018, there are so many things calling me.  In the wonderful spirit of Group Reunion Accountability, I will say:

YES – to walking with my beloved Sam, preserving and strengthening our earthly temples.
YES – to sitting quietly, without agenda, in the Presence of Our Lord at least once a week to listen.
YES – to clearing our garage, organizing a simple carpenter shop, and creating all the things I’ve promised to complete our home.

Not an earth-shattering set of resolutions and I’m certainly not going to tackle world hunger this year.  But, who knows?  Maybe next year…

Who do you see when you look into the Manger and what will you say YES to this year? 

De Colores!

No comments: