Wednesday, February 21, 2018

“Revealed by the Father” by Beth DeCristofaro

“Revealed by the Father” by Beth DeCristofaro


He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter said in reply, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Jesus said to him in reply, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. (Matthew 16:15-17)

Piety
Grant, we pray, almighty God, that no tempests may disturb us, for you have set us fast on the rock of the Apostle Peter’s confession of faith.  Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever.
        (Collect from the Mass for the Day)

Study
Gratitude has become a prized value to make someone’s day, to counter misfortune, indignities or even frustrations.  We can buy plaques and find on-line gratitude forums to prompt us toward saying thanks.  In fact, the spiritual giant Meister Eckhart said “If the only prayer we ever say in our lives is “Thank You” that will be enough.”  And it certainly works for me.

Jesus’ question to Peter guides my looking deeply into gratitude.  Not only what am I grateful for but who do I say Jesus is in my life and in Life?  Who do I say that I am?  Working in healthcare I meet people who have little to be grateful for.  They might suffer in a body which no longer performs as they expect it to; they might have little or no support; often have lost a job which defined them and activities which they enjoyed.  They struggle with “who am I” now.  And of course, they might wonder “How is God” in my life today? Or “Why does God” let this happen to me.  Peter’s witness gives us the substantial and unending reassurance despite questions, doubts, ruination that the Messiah, Son of the Living God, has walked and does walk with me.  Gratitude is bigger than even the biggest of my dreams, it is rooted in divine generosity.

Jesus, Saviour, gives eternal value to my mortal life.  The Living God lives with me today, tomorrow, and into eternity.  God chose to do this for me and my Neighbor.  Can I say to Jesus that I hear and know you, my Messiah, Son of the Living God?  He will certainly look back at me and say, I know you, beloved, formed in the image of my Father as am I despite your feeble existence full of shortcomings.  Peter glimpsed this and was able to articulate it as no one yet had due to his hearing God’s voice.  Jesus’ Church, with the rock-solid witness of Peter at its core, cannot be overturned by feebleness, shortcomings, tone deafness and is itself witness to the Kingdom building on earth.

Action
How well do I reflect God’s generosity?  How eagerly do I seek Jesus’ face in the Other?  Practice on those you meet today. 

No comments: