Wednesday, February 28, 2018

“Soften and Enlighten My Heart, O Lord” by Beth DeCristofaro

“Soften and Enlighten My Heart, O Lord” by Beth DeCristofaro
 
Frans Francken the Younger - Lazarus and the Rich Miser
Thus says the LORD: Cursed is the man who trusts in human beings, who seeks his strength in flesh, whose heart turns away from the LORD. … I, the LORD, alone probe the mind and test the heart, To reward everyone according to his ways, according to the merit of his deeds.  (Jeremiah 17:5, 10)

Jesus said to the Pharisees: "There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man's table. (Luke 16:19-21)

Piety
Let us open our eyes to the light that comes from God, and our ears to the voice from heaven that every day calls out this charge: “If you hear his voice today, Do not harden your hearts” (Ps 95:8)     Rule of St. Benedict (Prologue 9-10)

Study
It’s pretty simple today to give to charity or good causes.  Click a link, join a walk or bike ride, drop a few coins into the box at the cashier.  We don’t live lives as opulent as the rich man.  We’ve given to those in need.

What is more difficult is to identify the “wealth” we have which causes us to not see the Lazarus’ in our lives.  These “wealths” are not necessarily even negatives.  Some of them might not even seem like “wealth”.  For example:

I live in a good neighborhood with good schools.  Do I look with unease on those who also want to live here because they are different?  I safeguard what is mine.  
My insurance covers my needs but I worked hard for it, I don’t want that to change.  If others don’t have the same insurance they can work harder and earn it.   

My church is full of fellowship-minded caring individuals and has great liturgy but new languages just make it hard for everyone; it sets up groups that don’t mix. 

My family and community, deeply important to me, justify my ownership of guns to protect them and your paranoid desire to take them away is selfish.  (Reverse:  You just don’t understand that guns for self-protection are a myth!  No one needs guns at all these days we have police to protect us.)

My values have gotten me this far why haven’t yours?

This era of political correctness can be exhausting.  #me too, black lives matter, Parkland… especially when we feel we are practicing our Christian faith as best we can.  The myriad of voices present us with fresh opportunities to look again at our Christian lives and practices and see where our own “wealths” are causing us to not see poverty such as those who are disregarded, unbelieved, appraised less industrious, misunderstood thus less capable, people pigeonholed by stereotypes.    Perhaps our Lenten almsgiving can include a new type of coinage – looking and giving with Spirit and heart! 

Action
The Lord, hanging on the cross, had nothing.  However, he gave so generously by forgiving “those who do not know what they do.”  How poor were his tormentors and even worse, how blind?  But the richness of Jesus’ love gives us the hint of where we might most invest for eternal wealth:  kindness, seeing others with the eyes of love, mercy, and forgiveness.  What wealth causes me to stumble over my purple and linen fine garments?  Be aware of it.  Be aware of voices around me and listen, learn, grow in love.

No comments: