Thursday, February 01, 2018

“Summoned and Sent” by Beth DeCristofaro

“Summoned and Sent” by Beth DeCristofaro


Keep the mandate of the LORD, your God, following his ways and observing his statutes, commands, ordinances, and decrees as they are written in the law of Moses, that you may succeed in whatever you do, wherever you turn, and the LORD may fulfill the promise he made on my behalf (1 Kings 2:3-4)

Jesus summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by twoHe instructed them to take nothing for the journey but a walking stick –no food, no sack, no money in their belts …. So they went off and preached repentance.  (Mark 6:7, 8, 12)

Piety
Wake me, O God, to the loveliness and the beauty of human existence and to your presence within its very fiber. Set me on fire, O God, that I might walk the journey you have set before my feet with awareness, acceptance, joy, and confidence in your presence within me and within those whom I will meet. Together, my God, may we have a share in building your kingdom here on earth. (With thanks to the writings of Fr. Anthony de Mello)

Study
There is a story that as a youngster, Fr. Anthony de Mello who was born in India asked his father if he could become a priest. His father answered “no” because de Mello must carry on the family’s name. Years later when Anthony’s baby brother was born he was overjoyed and told his father that because the family expectations were changed – he would become a priest. He did.

St. Brigid, whose feast is celebrated today was believed to have been born into slavery which did not keep her from “being sent” in that she dispensed her master’s goods to the poor and practiced other charitable acts. Eventually, he freed her to become abbess, educator, founder of monasteries and Patroness of Ireland.

A Jesuit priest friend is a skilled supervisor and group facilitator for professional teams discerning and promoting teamwork as well as in conflict resolution. He determinedly and with some humor left his position at his superior’s command to become chaplain at a boy’s high school in another state.

With our Baptismal summons and Confirmation sending out, the community of the Church offers us renewal on our journeys, meeting Christ in the Sacraments. Through the indwelling Holy Spirit, our traveling companion is the risen Christ himself. Take his hand in yours and set out.

Action
In what way have I been asked to preach by loving others as Jesus loves me? In what ways do I resist, and how in prayer might I turn that energy of resistance into the joy of walking in the footsteps of our Savior? In whom do I find it most hard to see Jesus’ image? Ask for clarity of sight that my inward scrutiny inform my outward loving gaze.  

No comments: