Friday, March 23, 2018

Believe the Works

Believe the Works


If I do not perform my Father's works, do not believe me; but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may realize and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father." Then they tried again to arrest him; but he escaped from their power. John 10:27-29

Piety
O LORD of hosts, you who test the just, who probe mind and heart,
Let me witness the vengeance you take on them, for to you I have entrusted my cause. Sing to the LORD, praise the LORD, for he has rescued the life of the poor from the power of the wicked!
Jeremiah 20:12-13

Study
The Jewish and Christian religious seasons become further intertwined. Today’s Gospel confrontation/encounter takes place during the Feast of the Dedication. On our modern calendar, we know this holiday as Hanukah, the eight-day Festival of Lights which coincides with the Christmas season when Jesus emerged into the world among us.

This festival occurs three months after the feast of Tabernacles (Sukkoth), and it celebrated the rededication of the altar and re-consecration of the temple in 164 B.C., after their desecration by Antiochus IV Epiphanes. While the historical nature of these Jewish festivals is essential for the placement of Jesus preaching and miracles, the fact that his work now focuses our Lenten Season gives us context for how in life, Jesus was both continuity of the law from the Hebrew Bible but also was a replacement of the law. It is in this replacement where the confrontation with the Jews crystallized as he started replacing their traditional festivals with the Christian holy days we mark today.

For example, Jesus asks (John 10:36) his accusers, “Can you say that the one whom the Father has consecrated and sent into the world blasphemes because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?” In this statement, Jesus makes the explicit parallel that God consecrated him just as the Maccabees reconsecrated the altar for this historic holy Hanukah season.

Jesus was still walking about openly in the temple area, and the people approached him wanting to know if he is the Messiah. They did not wish to nor seek these problematic allegorical passages. They wanted a simple “Yes” or “No” answer.

“How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

Jesus however, would not fall into the trap and claim to be the Messiah. Previously, Jesus answers to their questions were not as explicit and as understandable as the people wanted. Recall John 8:28-29:

So, Jesus said (to them), “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I AM and that I do nothing on my own, but I say only what the Father taught me. The one who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone because I always do what is pleasing to him.”

The other context for today’s reading is that the confrontation comes right after the Good Shepherd sermon. The doubts and frustrations expressed by the Jews indicate that they are not among the “sheep.” After all, the sheep hear Jesus voice and answer his call.

But you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. John 10:26-27

Jesus asserts “The Father and I are one.” This declaration causes the Jews to pick up rocks to attempt to kill him on the spot for his alleged blasphemy. However, the time has not yet come. Jesus retreats to the safety of his homeland where John baptized him.

Action
Have you entrusted your cause to the Lord this Lenten season? Sunday we will walk in triumph with him as he parades into Jerusalem. Friday, we will walk with him in seeming defeat. As we prepare for this holiest of holy weeks, how will you remain attuned to hear his voice and follow him?

No comments: