Tuesday, March 13, 2018

“Do You Want to Be Well?” by Melanie Rigney (@melanierigney)

“Do You Want to Be Well?” by Melanie Rigney

“Wherever the river flows, every sort of living creature that can multiply shall live, and there shall be abundant fish, for wherever this water comes the sea shall be made fresh.” (Ezekiel 47:9)

The Lord of hosts is with us; our stronghold is the God of Jacob. (Psalm 46:8)

(Jesus said to the man who had been ill for thirty-eight years:) “Do you want to be well?” The sick man answered him, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; while I am on my way, someone else gets down there before me.” Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your mat, and walk.” Immediately the man became well, took up his mat, and walked. (John 5:6-9)

Piety
My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does, in fact, please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. –Thomas Merton

Study
Jesus, we see in today’s Gospel, was not the only one of His time who didn’t answer questions directly.

It was a simple question that He posed to the man in the pool: “Do you want to be well?” And instead of responding with, “Well, duh! Of course! Wouldn’t you?” or something a bit more polite, the man whines and moans about how no one will help him, about people passing him by.

Yadda-yadda-yadda.

Jesus, being Jesus, reframes the situation rather than asking the question again or turning away. He gives the man a directive, and the man follows it. (We go on to find out that this healing occurred on the Sabbath, scandalizing the religious leaders, but that is another Tripod for another time.)

“Do you want to be well?” Jesus asks us this question often. Are you willing to give up the petty hurts you’re nursing? Are you willing to sacrifice some creature comforts so others may have food and shelter? Are you willing to trust in Him completely rather than carve out areas of your life where you believe you’re in control?

What’s your answer?

Action
Spend time in a quiet place outside of your home—perhaps in an adoration chapel—contemplating how you can say, “Of course!” to Jesus.

Image credit: Yale Center for British Art [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments: