Monday, March 19, 2018

“What Is Pleasing to Him” by Melanie Rigney (@melanierigney)

“What Is Pleasing to Him” by Melanie Rigney


Complaining Israelites By Internet Archive Book Images [No restrictions],
via Wikimedia Commons
But with their patience worn out by the journey, the people complained against God and Moses, "Why have you brought us up from Egypt to die in this desert, where there is no food or water? We are disgusted with this wretched food!" (Numbers 21:4-5)

O Lord, hear my prayer, and let my cry come to you. (Psalm 102:2)

"When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I AM, and that I do nothing on my own, but I say only what the Father taught me. The one who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him." (John 8:29)

Piety
Lord, may my thoughts as well as my actions always praise You and always please You.

Study
I recently was part of a group discussion about the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation, perhaps the most misunderstood of Catholic sacraments. Another woman allowed as how since she spends most of her days by herself, there just isn’t much to confess.

Now, I don’t know her interior life. But the comment made me ponder my own because that’s where I have the most trouble doing what is pleasing to Him: praising, confessing, listening, surrendering. It’s so tempting in that time alone to complain like the Israelites in today’s first reading:
·         Did I really have to give up that relationship that meant so much to me so that I could be with You? Couldn’t we have reached a compromise, You and I?
·         Would a little more public attention for my efforts on Your behalf really diminish them… or You?
·         If You are a loving God, why do You let me go on making the same mistakes even though I try as hard as I can to diminish or eradicate them? Can You not presto-changeo take away the judgey, hypercritical parts of me?

That last part of John 8:29—“He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him”—is one tough challenge. Not only are we to love as Christ loves, we’re called to do as He did during His earthly life. No afternoon off here and there, no excuse for the way we react to less than godly people. Always. That’s every minute of our lives, every breath we take, every thought we think, whether we’re alone or with others. It’s daunting. In fact, it would be impossible… were it not for the fact that He is always with it, even when we choose not to see Him. When we acknowledge that and seek forgiveness for our sins, outward and inward, that we do what is pleasing indeed.

Action
Examine your conscience. Go to confession.

No comments: