Saturday, April 28, 2018

“Ask for Whatever You Want” by Melanie Rigney (@melanierigney)

“Ask for Whatever You Want” by Melanie Rigney


When Saul arrived in Jerusalem he tried to join the disciples, but they were all afraid of him, not believing that he was a disciple. Then Barnabas took charge of him and brought him to the apostles, and he reported to them how he had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken to him, and how in Damascus he had spoken out boldly in the name of Jesus. (Acts 9:26-27)

I will praise you, Lord, in the assembly of your people.  (Psalm 22:26a)

Beloved, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence in God and receive from him whatever we ask because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him. And his commandment is this: we should believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another just as he commanded us. (1 John 3:23)

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples." (John 15:7-8)
Musei di Strada Nuova [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons.
Piety
Lord, open my ears and mind to Your saving grace.

Study
The Pew Research Center recently released a study about Americans’ view of God, with results that might surprise you. Among Christians, Catholics trailed the pack in belief in God “as described in the Bible” at just 69 percent (mainline Protestants followed at 72 percent), and somehow, I don’t think that figure had much to do with a richer belief that encompasses Sacred Tradition. By even wider margins, Catholics were less likely to believe God or a “higher power” is all-loving or all-knowing.

Catholics also were the least likely to say they talk to God, or that God speaks directly to them. At least one noted theologian told America magazine that was a good thing because the Church teaches us to discern His direction through scripture, teachings, and the guidance of others… a community, if you will.

What do you think? I suspect there’s some linkage there. Community in the form of the men and women religious and wise laypeople, including Cursillo friends and the women in my parish’s Bible study group, has challenged my behaviors and views in innumerable ways. I have grown in wisdom and love thanks to them. My interior faith life has been deepened by a banquet of writers, living and dead, “traditional” and “progressive,” Catholic and non-Catholic. And yet, at the times I have been most tortured by decisions, including some that might seem small to you (such as what to do about a ridiculous parking situation) but were taking up way too much space in my soul, yes, God has spoken to me. And His words, even though they might have been similar to my own thoughts or a friend’s counsel, immediately stilled my anxieties as no other could.

When it comes to “GodTalk,” I don’t think I’m special; look at today’s readings. In the Gospel, Jesus encourages us to ask for what we want. Barnabas defends Paul to the skeptics, testifying the Lord has spoken to Paul. If the Lord could find a way to speak to a persecutor of Christians, why do we think He would not speak to believers struggling to grow closer to Him? After all, He’s asked us to do so… and the result just might make us more willing to celebrate his omnipotence.

Action
Try talking to God, whether or not you believe He’s all-loving and all-knowing. Give Him room to surprise you.

No comments: