Tuesday, April 24, 2018

“My Sheep Hear My Voice” by Melanie Rigney (@melanierigney)

Credit is Anton Mauve [Public domain or CC0], from Wikimedia Commons
“My Sheep Hear My Voice” by Melanie Rigney


For a whole year they met with the Church and taught a large number of people, and it was in Antioch that the disciples first were called Christians. (Acts 11:26)

All you nations, praise the Lord. (Psalm 117:1)

So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly." Jesus answered them, "I told you and you do not believe. The works I do in my Father's name testify to me. But you do not believe, because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish.” (John 10:24-28)

Piety
Lord, I pray that I may always be counted among Your sheep.

Study
When was the last time you heard His voice?

Was it early this morning, when your children were giggling over breakfast?

Was it in mid-morning, when your boss or a difficult colleague cut you a little slack when you weren’t prepared for a meeting?

Was it at lunchtime, when that guy who’s always panhandling at the Metro stop, instead of asking for spare change, told you to smile because God loves you?

Was it in the afternoon when you got an unexpected, welcome text or email from someone from whom you hadn’t heard for a while?

Was it on the way home, when scripture or another spiritual reading you’ve been struggling with suddenly was clear as clear could be?

Was it when you got home and found dinner ready, flowers, a sweet note in the mail, or some other little virtual (or real-life!) hug?

Was it in the evening, when you were counting your blessings in prayer and felt yourself drowsing off in God’s arms?

God speaks to us all the time… sometimes in that small, quiet voice, sometimes through the kindnesses of others. All we have to do is listen… and follow.

Action
Identify a place where God’s saying something loud and clear… and you’re choosing not to follow for fear, pride or some other barrier you’ve put up. Pray for the faith and courage to surrender your will to His.

No comments: