Tuesday, May 01, 2018

“The Vine and the Branches” by Colleen O'Sullivan

“The Vine and the Branches” by Colleen O’Sullivan


Christ the True Vine Icon, 16th century,
Byzantine & Christian Museum, Athens, Greece,
Public Domain, Wikimedia Commons
Jesus said to his disciples:  "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower.  He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit.  You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you.  Remain in me, as I remain in you.  Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me.  I am the vine, you are the branches.  Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. (John 15:1-5)

Piety
Lord, may I always find my home in your love, and may I ever be generous in sharing the fruits of your love with my brothers and sisters.

Study
Musings of a disciple:  We’ve been sitting here for hours.  The more Jesus talks, the greater my fear and apprehension.  Actually, this whole evening has been nothing like what I expected.  At the meal, Jesus talked about one of us betraying him.  But who could he have been thinking about?   I hope not me.  Oh, we’ve had our disagreements from time to time, but by and large, we’ve all stuck together for the last few years following our Teacher.  And then talking about the bread and wine as his Body and Blood given for all.  He must really think this is the end.  It’s common knowledge that there are those in Jerusalem who would see him dead, but I hope nothing comes of that.  And just a little while ago taking off his outer garments and washing our filthy, stinking feet like a servant and telling us to serve one another.  Yes, I’m ready to call it a night and go home.  You could cut the tension in this room with a knife.  But Jesus keeps talking and talking, now about a vine and its branches.

It wouldn’t be long before the disciples would be grief-stricken at the death of their friend and leader and, at the same time, frightened to the core at the prospect of life without Jesus.   Would the authorities come looking for them next?  How would they live?  Most of them gave up occupations to follow Jesus.  It might not be so easy to go back to what they had been doing.  And, without Jesus, everything might seem pointless.  They had followed his lead every day for several years now.  Would they just be cast to the four winds?

Many of us have experienced life-shattering events and felt just like the disciples.  What now?  Where do I go from here?  I don’t know if I can go on.  How will I survive?

That’s when it might be good to recall the parable Jesus relates to the disciples as they sit together after the Last Supper.  The parable of the vine and the branches is a powerful reminder that we are never alone.  No matter what, we are always part of something bigger than ourselves.  We are the branches Jesus mentions, sustained by the life-giving vine, which is Jesus.  And all of it overseen by the loving vine grower, God.   God offers us a place to call home and hopes that we will choose to abide in God’s love.  The vine provides us with everything we need for an abundant life – sustenance and the companionship of other branches. 

Action
One other theme in this story that I had never given much consideration to before has to do with bearing fruit.  The fruit borne by a branch isn’t meant to, and doesn’t, feed the branch.  The fruit is always meant to be picked and enjoyed by someone else.  God sustains us in love, but it’s not a love that is to be hoarded.  It’s intended to be given to others as Jesus gives himself to us.

For consideration in prayer:  Have there been times when you have mistakenly held tight to some grace God bestowed upon you?  Think of other instances when you have generously shared the fruits of God’s love with others.  

No comments: