Wednesday, June 20, 2018

“Our Father Knows What We Need Before We Do” by Beth DeCristofaro


“Our Father Knows What We Need Before We Do” by Beth DeCristofaro


Meister_des_Lehrbuchs_Kaiser_Maximilians_I._001
Jesus said to his disciples: "In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think
that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him. (Matthew 6:7-8)


Piety
"Our Father in heaven, may your name be held holy, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we have forgiven those who are in debt to us. And do not put us to the test but save us from the Evil One." (Matthew 6:8-13, New Jerusalem Bible)


Study
Occasionally I say the Lord’s Prayer using “I.” Jesus was always so personal when speaking of and to his Father; his invitation to pray is to do as he did. When I pray this beautiful prayer in this way, it places me front and center with the Creator, with my Father and I see my place as a sister of Jesus in a different light. I have an active obligation to fashion God’s will on earth and to forgive my neighbor. In fact, I have a vital role to do both, putting aside my wants as I trust that all my essential needs are given, free of charge, by the Divine.

When I was very young the line “lead me not into temptation” made me picture God holding a sort of stop sign. Today I realize that through prayer a stop sign is not needed. Instead, the silent and deep voice of God can be discerned and, if I listen and do God’s will, I am led to holiness and away from sin.

But, also through prayer, I am brought back to the “us” in Jesus’ prayer. Even with my necessary part in God’s plan, Jesus’ Holy Church is about community. God’s Kingdom draws all of Creation to holiness. The Holy Spirit’s gifts blow upon all, and spiritual fruits blossom for all who listen, pray, discern and act as Jesus teaches.

St. John of the Cross teaches “It is in the soul in which less of its own appetites and pleasures dwell that (God) dwells more alone, more pleased and more as in his own house, ruling and governing it.”  Jesus calls me to be the community to others in Eucharist and invites me at Baptism into God’s house, the eternal community of which our daily life is merely the reception area.

Action
Try praying in the first person singular. If this doesn’t work for you, try picturing how you will do God’s will, who needs forgiving and what temptation are you resisting? Ask for God’s help with those specific needs. Thank God for the daily bread which is unique to your day. Smile for your family “reunion” as you pray with your Father and your Brother, held by the Holy Spirit dancing in your soul. 




No comments: