Monday, July 02, 2018

“Arise from your Sick Bed” by Beth DeCristofaro

“Arise from your Sick Bed” by Beth DeCristofaro


God did not make death, nor does he rejoice in the destruction of the living. For he fashioned all things that they might have being…For God formed man to be imperishable; the image of his own nature he made him. (Wisdom 1:13-14, 2:23)

There was a woman afflicted with hemorrhages for twelve years…She said, "If I but touch his clothes, I shall be cured." Immediately her flow of blood dried up. She felt in her body that she was healed of her affliction…The woman, realizing what had happened to her, approached in fear and trembling. She fell down before Jesus and told him the whole truth. He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has saved you. Go in peace and be cured of your affliction." … Jesus said to the synagogue official, "Do not be afraid; just have faith." …  He took the child by the hand and said to her, "Talitha koum," which means, "Little girl, I say to you, arise!" The girl, a child of twelve, arose immediately and walked around. (Mark 5:30, 33-34, 36, 41-42)

Piety
Jesus, lift me up when I am sick, injured or confused in mind.  Help me ascend to confidence when I feel stuck, uncertain, timid.  Restore my conviction when I become full of doubt or tempted to stray.  Elevate me above angry retorts, hurtful actions, hasty judgments about others.  Raise me up on my last day and on the Last Day to give you glory face to face.  Amen  

Study
My dear friend Sophia suffered from and fought with lymphoma for several years.  She took her battle seriously, taking herbal supplements, exercising as she was able, even naming the chemo drugs “my bee friends” and visualized her friends swarming and stinging the tumor cells.  As we drove to and from her treatments, we talked about good times and planning.  We took a vacation together hoping the happy vibes would improve her chances to survive.  She welcomed and sought out prayers from anyone so disposed.  The end was both quick but protracted.  She had a crisis which hospitalized her, and she died there about one week later.  She was my tough-as-nails yet generous beyond her diminutive stature friend who raised two grandsons alone when her daughter succumbed again and again to drug addictions.

This Gospel about Jairus’ daughter and the ill woman raises many human emotions to which we can all relate.  There are misery and pain of a protracted illness.  The frustration that doctors cannot help.  The fear of watching a loved one succumb.  The agony of loss.  The desperation in the face of hopelessness.  The courage to do anything to be cured.  The hope that a cure is out there.  The faith that the cure is meant for my daughter or me or my good friend.  Freedom won!

Action
Jesus did not just heal, but he gave both women back their place in the community, their potential, their future, their identities.  And yet he did not for my friend Sophia.  In the Gospel stories, there were, no doubt, many who suffered in the crowds surrounding Jesus who could also have benefited from a cure.  The human situation of which we are all too well aware is that not all are cured even in Jesus’ physical presence.  But this Gospel is about healing, faith, and the invitation, through Jesus, to immortality. This Gospel is about complete and true Freedom.  I am sad that Sophia is no longer alive to laugh with, agree and disagree with in the same conversation, plot together.  I am sad that she died without her family present because they did not believe she was direly ill.  But I am beyond joyful that she and I will be reunited again and that she is free from illness and cares.

No comments: