Wednesday, September 19, 2018

“Forgiven and Saved” by Beth DeCristofaro

“Forgiven and Saved” by Beth DeCristofaro


For I handed on to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures; that he was buried; that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)

So I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; hence, she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven loves little."  He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." The others at table said to themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" But he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace." (Luke 7:47-50)

Piety
Gracious God of all times and places, please forgive me for the many instances I am intolerant of others whose practices and lives I do not understand nor value.  And in the forgiving, teach me to love greatly.  Give me the faith that will save me.

Study
Years ago, living in Aix-en-Provence, France, I was astonished to learn that the
Cathedrale St. Sauveur was built on a first-century Roman ruin.  In fact, the Baptistry itself is said to be sited on a former pagan temple to Apollo.  There remain ancient Roman columns in the Baptistry and certainly, there is a deep, sacred feeling to the cathedral; it was a mini-retreat to attend Mass or just visit and walk in the silent cloister. This was one of many places in which I sense the holiness imbued in places where ages of people sought for God who has and continues revealing Godself to humanity. 

Recently I talked with a woman about the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route across northern Spain.  I told her that I hoped someday to visit it and other ancient sacred sites and she said that she, too, hoped to walk the Camino in the near future.  We both agreed that it would be an easier pilgrimage than the Hindu pilgrimage she made with her family several years ago.  They walked and circled Mount Kailash in Tibet.  She explained that it is a long walk at altitude (almost 19,000 feet at some points) and she was amazed to see very elderly pilgrims, some with canes, slowly making their way to the holy site.

As difficult as it was for her, my friend was struck by the call of faith propelling so many pilgrims to make such a journey.  We both have witnessed people of great faith in all religions and agreed that it is wonderful to know that longing for divinity can be found – and shared - between peoples of different religious traditions.

The martyrs whom we remember today sought God and held fast to their faith in ways which many of us will never be called to do.  We, for the most part, are affected by and struggle against societal customs, national fears or false gods such as get-ahead, get revenge, get-what-is-mine, get-beautiful none of which uphold the teachings of Jesus that today’s martyrs died for.  

Action
In today’s Gospel, Jesus challenged the Pharisee that his hospitality was not in accord with the teachings of the law. In the Nicene Creed, we profess “I believe in the Holy Spirit…who has spoken through the prophets.”  During Eucharistic Prayer 1, we hear, ”Be pleased to look upon these offerings…and to accept them as once you were pleased to accept the gifts of your servant Abel the just, the sacrifice of Abraham, our father in faith and the offering of your high priest Melchizedek…” 

Is the faith of my Mothers and Fathers, faith born in my Brother, Jesus, alive and living within me or static as magnificent ancient ruins?


No comments: