Saturday, September 08, 2018

Open Me to Hear You, O God by Beth DeCristofaro

Open Me to Hear You, O God by Beth DeCristofaro


Then will the eyes of the blind be opened, the ears of the deaf be cleared; then will the lame leap like a stag, then the tongue of the mute will sing. Streams will burst forth in the desert and rivers in the steppe. The burning sands will become pools, and the thirsty ground, springs of water. (Isaiah 35:4-7) 

Listen, my beloved brothers and sisters. Did not God choose those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom that he promised to those who love him? (James 2:5)

then (Jesus) looked up to heaven and groaned, and said to him, “Ephphatha!”— that is, “Be opened!” — And immediately the man’s ears were opened, his speech impediment was removed, and he spoke plainly.
(Mark 7:34-35)

Piety
Today may I be astonished by what you do, O God, and proclaim it within my heart, with all I do and to all I meet.

Study
Have you ever had the opportunity to share music with someone who has dementia?  It is astounding to watch an infirm, shoulders hunched former military man straighten up, as if at attention, to the marching strains of the Marine Hymn.  It is delightful to witness a woman who no longer speaks sing along with Nat King Cole to “It’s only a Paper Moon” and to sway along with the man in his walker dancing to Ethel Waters’ “Stormy Weather”.  Familiar hymns and prayers will also often call people who are otherwise trapped in an uncommunicative body to themselves.  Beloved children of God, they are and have always been “in there” and God knows them.  What incredible gifts are our senses!  How do we use them?

Jesus gave the deaf man back to himself and back to his family and neighbors.  Jesus gave him back his life, opening him up to eternal life.  This awesome awakening would not have occurred had the man not been in need.  Do I assume that my senses are just fine, thank you and that I am in no need for Jesus’ gift of grace?  Do I already know exactly what I should listen to, look at, taste and touch?  And do I understand all that I am currently hearing, seeing, touching, tasting, smelling?  Do I have need of Jesus?

Action
Give thanks for our senses.  In what way can I engage my senses in a new way to hear, taste, touch, smell, see God anew today?  He has so much more to give me than the same old song.


Illustration:  Kat Sigler, original art

No comments: