Wednesday, September 26, 2018

“Wisdom and Change of Heart” by Beth DeCristofaro

“Wisdom and Change of Heart” by Beth DeCristofaro


The eye is not satisfied with seeing nor is the ear satisfied with hearing. (Ecclesiastes 1:8B)

But Herod said, "John I beheaded. Who then is this about whom I hear such things?" And he kept trying to see him. (Luke 9:9)

Piety
Lord, you have been our refuge
through all generations.
Teach us to count our days aright,
that we may gain wisdom of heart.
Fill us at daybreak with your mercy,
that all our days we may sing for joy. (Psalm 90:1, 12, 14)

Study
In the Gospels this week we heard Jesus clarify that his family is made up of more than blood kin:  He said to them in reply, "My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it."  (Luke 8:21).  We saw Jesus send his followers out to enlarge his family:  he sent them to proclaim the Kingdom of God and to heal the sick. (Luke 9:2) We heard him begin to reveal his passion and the coming of the Kingdom:   For there is nothing hidden that will not become visible and nothing secret that will not be known and come to light. (Luke 8:17).  We will listen in as Peter witnesses to Jesus the Lord Then he said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter said in reply, "The Christ of God." (Luke 9:20) So what’s with Herod who kept trying in vain to see him?  Why did Jesus not send disciples to him and, in fact, one of the Gospels tells us that as Jesus stood condemned in front of Herod, Jesus did not speak to him?

This passage made me consider just who was this guy, Herod?  Historically there are records but I wonder who was the man?  He was appointed tetrarch so he was most likely a political operative, able to play the game and placate the powerful for his own ambition.  He clearly enjoyed power, killing his own brother to climb the ladder and shacking up with his sister-in-law.  He certainly had stirrings to discover more – perhaps deeper – realities than he lived because he paid attention to John the Baptist and claimed to want to meet Jesus.  But his desires to know are too self-serving for him to actually want the truth. 

Herod’s casual statement “John I beheaded” chills me.  He is either so clueless that the dignity of life means for others not just himself or so basely evil that murder is merely an administrative command.  Herod wants knowledge but not wisdom, not truth.  Herod would scoff at Jesus’ command to the disciples to go and proclaim, taking nothing with you but the sandals on your feet.  Herod?  Leave behind the trappings and glitter of the Roman oppressor?  He does not comprehend Jesus’ challenge that of those who are given much, much is required.  Herod, who does not give anything but death, does not allow himself to be required of anything by anybody.  Rather he takes and takes including lives. 

Action
What in me is Herodian in nature keeping me from hearing Jesus?  Do I adhere to practices of my faith yet crook my finger at God expecting God to come to me?  Do I trust enough to leave behind all that makes me comfortable and identifies me in order to proclaim His word?  Do I minimize the God-given humanity of others?  What within me “keeps trying to see him” on my terms rather than God’s terms?

No comments: