Wednesday, October 24, 2018

His Power is at Work Within Us by Beth DeCristofaro

His Power is at Work Within Us by Beth DeCristofaro


Now to him who is able to accomplish far more than all we ask or imagine, by the power at work within us, to him be glory in the Church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21)

Jesus said to his disciples: "I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing! There is a baptism with which I must be baptized, and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished! Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. (Luke 12:49-51)


Piety
Lord Jesus, it is difficult for me to embrace both the trials and joys of life.  I struggle with “deserving” either.  Open my heart to recognize that you are in all life, that you accepted life and preceded me, that you sanctified suffering with your sacrifice and resurrection, that you are with me in all.  May I, through my life, share the glory of God to the suffering world, that same world so full of your goodness.  In your name, Lord Jesus, be all glory and honor.

Study
In Matthew 16:22, Peter protests Jesus’ explanation that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer greatly from the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised (Matthew 16:21) in an attempt at comfort, loyalty, protection he dismisses Jesus’ reality just as we do when we hear of a friend’s misery but does not realize that he rejects Jesus himself when he does this. 

The notes in the NAB state “Jesus’ proclamation of the kingdom is a refining and purifying fire.” Later Paul attempts to clue us in on the seismic upheaval which is the offer from Christ which is for the entire world.  It is so easy for us, in our limited humanity, to underestimate the immense and all-encompassing redemptive power of Jesus’ love.  While he does not wish suffering on us, Jesus’ acceptance of his baptism through anguish sanctifies the suffering we face as humans.

Action
Suffering is part of the human nature not a hammer stroke from a vengeful God and our place, as heirs to Jesus’ redemptive gift is to stand with, ameliorate, acknowledge the suffering of our fellows not to make nice or explain away.  The grace of tears, stated Pope Francis, opens our hearts to the other.[i]

Is my heart open to be stung with my humanity, beloved of God as are each and every one of my brothers and sisters?  Can I accept the trials and joys of my life and that of others?  How am I a vessel for the power of His work?

No comments: