Saturday, October 20, 2018

Holy “Suffering Succotash” by Sam Miller

Holy “Suffering Succotash” by Sam Miller


The LORD was pleased to crush him in infirmity… Because of his affliction, he shall see the light in fullness of days; through his suffering, my servant shall justify many, and their guilt he shall bear. (Isaiah 53:10a &11)

Our soul waits for the LORD, who is our help and our shield. May your kindness, O LORD, be upon us who have put our hope in you. R. Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you. (Psalm 33:20, 22)

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has similarly been tested in every way, yet without sin. So, let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and to find grace for timely help. (Hebrews 4:15-16)

Can you drink the cup that I drink or be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?" They said to him, "We can." Jesus said to them, "The cup that I drink, you will drink, and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized… whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all. For the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Mark 10:38b-39, 44-45)

Piety
May your kindness, O LORD, be upon me who have put my hope in you. May I be ever mindful of Your total understanding and empathy for all my weaknesses!

Study
The image that instantly came to mind when I first read today’s Scripture passages was the cartoon character, Sylvester the Cat slobbering “Sufferin’ Succotash.” The accompanying thought: “This could get messy!”

I thank the Good Lord for refocusing me!! Instead of the suffering, it’s about the Suffering and Triumph of the Servant of the Lord (“…the sinless Servant, who by His voluntary suffering atones for the sins of His people, and saves them from just punishment at the hands of God. Only in Jesus Christ is the prophesy perfectly fulfilled.”[i]

Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten and Beloved Son of God, obediently paid my ransom. It’s not about me, it’s about God! Jesus lived life as a human, except for sin; said “Yes” to doing His Father’s will even when He asked that it could be different; and suffered more pain than I can ever, in this lifetime, imagine, to give His all! NOT to make me worthy but, through my Lord, that I may petition the Author of grace to receive His mercy, kindness, and grace for my life.

Action
Dear Lord, help me to be a good and faithful servant. When I dare to complain, cause me to remember how totally You understand and are always leading the way through every difficulty and darkness in my life.

[i] Isaiah 52:13 – 53:12, NAB, The Catholic Bible, Personal Study Edition 

No comments: