Tuesday, November 20, 2018

“Invest God’s Gifts Wisely” by Colleen O’Sullivan

“Invest God’s Gifts Wisely” by Colleen O’Sullivan


"Worthy are you, Lord our God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things; because of your will they came to be and were created."  (Revelation 4:11)

“'Sir, here is your gold coin; I kept it stored away in a handkerchief, for I was afraid of you because you are a demanding man; you take up what you did not lay down and you harvest what you did not plant.' He said to him, 'With your own words I shall condemn you, you wicked servant.  You knew I was a demanding man, taking up what I did not lay down and harvesting what I did not plant; why did you not put my money in a bank?  Then on my return, I would have collected it with interest.” (Luke 19:20-23)

Piety
Suscipe (St. Ignatius of Loyola)
Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding,
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.
You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.
Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace,
that is enough for me.

Study
In John’s magnificent vision of God’s throne in our first reading, the 24 elders prostrate themselves before the throne and praise God as Creator.  They acknowledge that we only exist because God wants us to.  Everything we are and all that we have is from the Lord.  That is also the essence of the Suscipe prayer.  Give credit where credit is due.

As we journey through life, God entrusts us with much.  All of us are recipients of God’s love.  Some of us are blessed with material wealth.  Others receive less tangible gifts – musical talent, teaching ability, the gift of public speaking or preaching.  Other people have compassionate hearts and make good listeners.  I’m sure we all know people who seem like they were born to be parents and raise children or others who are natural healers.  Around us are people who are good at working with their hands and building things or others who can draw, paint or sculpt.  Some of us have the ability to organize and motivate groups.

The parable in today’s Gospel reading shows us that whatever God’s gifts, they are not to be hoarded or kept for ourselves.   God showers each of us with love and desires that we share that love with our brothers and sisters.  If we are blessed with wealth, there is much we can do to alleviate poverty or hunger around the world.  Every one of us has some gift from God that we can use in service to others.  The more we invest in God’s world and our brothers and sisters, the more blessed we will feel. 

Action
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  As you gather around the table with family and friends, give thanks not only for the gifts you have received from the Lord but also for the opportunities to share those gifts with others of God’s children.

No comments: