Saturday, December 29, 2018

“Your Present is Your Presence” by Sam Miller

“Your Present is Your Presence” by Sam Miller


Beloved: The way we may be sure that we know Jesus is to keep his commandments. Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps his word, the love of God is truly perfected in him. 1 John 2:3-5

“Lord, now let your servant go in peace; your word has been fulfilled: my own eyes have seen the salvation which you prepared in the sight of every people, a light to reveal you to the nations and the glory of your people Israel.” Luke 2:29-32

Piety:
Bring me into the light of Your love, Dear Lord.  Let me be present to Your coming to dwell among us this day.  May I come to the manger with reverence and awe.  Help me to allow You to fill my heart with joy.

Study:
The time of preparation has passed.  Jesus’ coming was foretold from of old, from way back!  Those guys had time to prepare but, did they?  Did they receive the message that Jesus was coming and then go back to their normal routines?  How come the innkeeper didn’t know to reserve a room for the Holy Family?  There were multiple Angelic visitations to announce the coming event. Mary didn’t have to tell Elizabeth, baby John already knew!  Joseph heard from Angels that he should take Mary into his home while the law told him not to.  Did he share the messages with anyone?  When the Lord, the Baby Jesus was born His first adorers were the animals in the stable.  An Angel with Heavenly Host alerted the shepherds to come to see the Babe, didn’t anyone else see that?

Me?  From early childhood, I was taught that Christmas was about welcoming the Baby Jesus, not about receiving presents.  Every year, I pray to be properly prepared to receive Him, that my heart may make room to welcome Him.  Do I receive the message to prepare only to get distracted by all of the hustle and bustle, the buying and wrapping of presents, attending all of the festive gatherings and forget that this is Jesus’ birthday party?!

Nothing distracted Simeon from his vigil until he shared in the presence of the Baby Jesus.

Action:
Lord, may Your light shine on and through me this day!  Lord, be born in me today!!  May Your presence be my present!!  Amen!

No comments: