Thursday, February 07, 2019

Some Have Unknowingly Entertained Angels

Some Have Unknowingly Entertained Angels


Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect hospitality, for through it some have unknowingly entertained angels. Hebrews 13:1-2

King Herod heard about Jesus, for his fame had become widespread, and people were saying, "John the Baptist has been raised from the dead; That is why mighty powers are at work in him." Others were saying, "He is Elijah"; still others, "He is a prophet like any of the prophets." But when Herod learned of it, he said, "It is John whom I beheaded. He has been raised up." Mark 6:14-16

Piety
Lord of the Dance by The Dubliners
I danced in the morning
When the world was begun,
And I danced in the moon
And the stars and the sun,
And I came down from heaven
And I danced on the earth,
At Bethlehem
I had my birth.

Dance, then, wherever you may be,
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he,
And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,
And I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he

Study
When you think of a King or the Lord of a manor, for me, the image of wealth comes to mind and many servants who get things done so that the lord of the manor does not have to lift a finger. The recent hit show Downton Abbey reminded us with the many people who surrounded the Crawley family.  Gardeners.  Butlers.  Servants. Maids.  Footmen.  Cooks. They barely had to dress before someone arrived to help do something.

That is what makes Jesus such a study in contrasts.  He is the opposite. The letter to the Hebrews portrays this with many phrases:

“The Lord is my helper.” He is the person who helped.  Jesus is the helper.

Think of the other ways we describe Jesus.

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

The Lord is my keeper. Psalm 121

The Lord is my stronghold.

Jesus fed the five thousand, walked on water, healed the townspeople at Gennesaret…and that is only in Mark chapter six. Jesus is the actor.  He is an active God.  Jesus is not here to watch over us but to help us through the ups and downs of daily life.

Action
In addition, Jesus commands us to be active disciples as well.  We are not to be Lord of the Manor…we are to be Lord of the Dance, always moving, always helping.

The theme of today’s first reading, Entertaining Angels, did double duty in 1996 as the title for the Dorothy Day story. Dorothy was active in helping the poor throughout her life and inspiring others to do the same. We are to treat all guests, whether they be kings or peasants like they were visiting angels. Because you never know…You would not want to miss a chance to entertain an angel, would you? 

No comments: