Sunday, February 17, 2019

“Stumbling Toward a Life in His Perfect Joy!” by Wayne Miller

“Stumbling Toward a Life in His Perfect Joy!” by Wayne Miller


“Cursed is the one who trusts in human beings, who seeks his strength in the flesh.” (Jeremiah 17:5-8)

“If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are the most pitiable people of all.” (1 Corinthians 15:12,16-20)

“Blessed are you who are poor, hungry, weeping, hated, excluded, insulted, and denounced. Rejoice and leap for joy on that day!  Behold your reward (is) great in heaven.” (Luke 6:17, 20-26)

Piety
Abba Father, if I am ever to know in this life the perfect joy that Your Son and Your Saints promise, give me the wisdom to hear and live Your discipline in all things. Help me be an active contemplative in every relationship – at home, at work, shopping, in worship and service. Thank you for patiently encouraging me every day to live in the Your Kingdom now, reinforcing my certainty of the full and perfect Joy of living with you for eternity when that time comes.

Study
“Cursed is the one who trusts in human beings...” I learned long ago to put my trust in our Loving Father and His Son, Jesus.  Nevertheless, that does not stop me from depending on the most untrustworthy human of all – ME!  Yes, I turn to God for advice and guidance, but, ultimately, I am the one who saddles up and rides out to put the program into action. I do not always do such a good job of implementing His instructions. I am cursed, too, trusting in my human “wisdom.”  How can I trust and follow HIM more?

I am my own worst enemy, constantly analyzing and trying to develop schemes to control my life – even when the “control” is meant to eradicate my sins and improve my relationship with Him.  Admittedly, my sin eradication has been marginally successful, but how do I IMPROVE my relationship with God when I am not sure I know what the perfect relationship with God is?

St. Paul’s exhortation to the Corinthians was very necessary for those folks who did not believe in an after-life.  However, I have no problem believing in the resurrection.  However, I am also a firm believer in Jesus’ statement that the Kingdom of God is here and now, and I want to experience that JOY also, not just a lifetime enduring the pain and hunger on the promise of a resurrected next life.

St Francis expressed Perfect Joy as the ability to see and experience everything with the heart of Jesus, without malice or retaliation.  Jesus knew exhilaration, grief, and pain and accepted all those imposters in a singular joy-filled relationship with His Father. What an awesome way that would be to live this life.

Action
Should I strive to learn HOW TO DO? On the other hand, HOW TO BE?  Maybe, just for today (this evening? this minute?), I should silence my busy, buzzing brain and listen.

As I bring this scribble to a close, the flowers and candy and red shiny balloons of St. Valentine’s Day surround me and remind me how important it is always to let the people in your life know how precious and special they are – exactly as they are – not how well they are conforming to my expectations of them.
I am learning that is what relationship with God is all about. I want to be His voice, touch, and heart to express His Love to my brothers and sisters. 

Also, – by the way – I need to look in the mirror and remind myself of His Complete Love and Acceptance for ME.

And – one more BFO – I should also look deep into the heart of the Triune God and express my complete love and acceptance and thanks to Him – not for His responses to my expectations – but for His Perfect, Complete and utterly necessary Love, even when it grates against my expectations.

Thank You, Father, Jesus, and Spirit, for loving me toward a more perfect union with you and all my brothers and sisters.

De Colores!

No comments: