Wednesday, March 20, 2019

“Blessed to Hope, Blessed to Bear Fruit” by Beth DeCristofaro

“Blessed to Hope, Blessed to Bear Fruit” by Beth DeCristofaro


Thus, says the LORD: Cursed is the man who trusts in human beings, who seeks his strength in flesh, whose heart turns away from the LORD. … Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose hope is the LORD. He is like a tree planted beside the waters that stretches out its roots to the stream: It fears not the heat when it comes, its leaves stay green; In the year of drought it shows no distress, but still bears fruit.  (Jeremiah 17:5, 7-8)

Then Abraham said, 'If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets,
neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.'
(Luke 16:31)

Piety
Lord of charity, awaken us.
Teach us of the unending return on our sacrifice,
That we may rejoice more fully in giving.
Lord, you have eyes for the just and ears for the cry of those who suffer.
Awaken in us a heart of justice,
That you may count us among their number.
Amen.
  (from “Awaken Us”, Catholic Relief Services)

Study
At an intersection near my home, a homeless man lived in the woods with his dog for a time.  Sometimes he would walk slowly up and down the side of the lane accepting handouts.  I sometimes brought a little something with me for his dog which I handed him with a dollar.  He would laugh and say that his dog was his best friend.  And whether dog treats or no, he always thanked me with a “God Bless You” and a big smile.  At times, however, I approached this intersection realizing that my dollar was zipped securely and inaccessible in my purse, way across the car.  I found myself sometimes irritated at the man imposing on me.  Why did he have to be there making me feel guilty?  Why didn’t he get himself a job?  Certainly, people in the cars around me would give him something, why should I always have to be so generous?

Generous?  Why was I doing this anyway?

In the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus taught us to pray “Our Father” not just “my Father.”  God is God of all, inviting, calling, naming each one of us.  Our Father gifts each of us and we are called to love each other with those gifts whether they be the ability to write a reflection or to share a dollar.  Jesus also instructed us that the Father’s “Kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven”.  God created and the Word enriched and saved.  The Father’s will is done through me and through each person who chooses the Word. 

Abraham’s argument might be updated for today: “If they will not listen to the Lamb of God who walked among us neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.”

Action
Are there times when I am not persuaded to be merciful and generous through selfishness or self-centeredness?  What causes me not to be persuaded to do God’s Will?  Pray for God to awaken our hearts to bear God’s fruit in the world.

No comments: