Monday, April 22, 2019

“I Have Seen the Lord” by Melanie Rigney (@melanierigney)

Mary at the Tomb, Rembrandt [Public domain].

“I Have Seen the Lord” by Melanie Rigney (@melanierigney)


“Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38)

The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord. (Psalm 33:5b)

She thought it was the gardener and said to him, “Sir, if you carried him away, tell me where you laid him, and I will take him.” Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to him in Hebrew, “Rabbouni,” which means Teacher. Jesus said to her, “Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” Mary went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and then reported what he had told her. (John 20:15-18)


Piety
Jesus, I beg You to open my eyes to Your presence.

Study
She thought it was the gardener.

Sometimes, we think it’s that person at work who frustrates us, that women who stands on the left instead of the right on a Metro escalator, that man who sits in front of us at Mass and smells a little and sings off-key.

Sometimes we think it’s the person whom we love more than anyone else on earth, that mentor who lovingly challenges us to think the best rather than the worst of others, that customer service representative who’s so patient in helping us regain access to an online account.

And sometimes, we are right.

Other times, we realize later that there was some Jesus in that moment, whether His appearance presented an opportunity for a small act of mercy or provided us with needed grace and love.

She thought it was the gardener. But when He called her name, she knew. Listen… is He calling yours?

Action
Look for the Lord in unexpected places today, using your eyes and ears.

No comments: