Thursday, April 25, 2019

“Peace Be with You” by Beth DeCristofaro

“Pax”, Pater Karl Sadler, OSB
“Peace Be with You” by Beth DeCristofaro


Repent, therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be wiped away, and that the Lord may grant you times of refreshment and send you the Christ already appointed for you, Jesus, whom heaven must receive until the times of universal restoration of which God spoke through the mouth of his holy prophets from of old. (Acts 3:19-21)

He said to them, "These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the law of Moses and in the prophets and psalms must be fulfilled." Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures. And he said to them, "Thus it is written that the Christ would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day and that repentance, for the forgiveness of sins, would be preached in his name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things." (Luke 24:44-48)

Piety
"Peace be with you," You said to your Friends, Lord.  May I hear you speak them to me.  May you fill me with your peace, overflowing upon my small world.  May I be fierce in faith while peacefully living as witness to your life of love.

Study
Peter knew of what he spoke to the crowds in Jerusalem.  Jesus accepted his repentance from betrayal and from Jesus’ mouth his sins were wiped away.  His words to the audience were fierce in the challenge yet tender as Peter named their sin and offered restoration to them.  He spoke out of a faith which was forged in hardship and misunderstanding until his mind was open and his friend, his Lord, bestowed peace upon him.

Christ says “Peace” to me today but at times I find it difficult to hear him or to feel his peace in my heart.  There are days when I do not have peace when my faith is stressed beneath the weight of fear, opinions, bias, anger or the distraction of idols.  If I do not live in my faith and listen for the silence of Christ’s peace, I cannot share it.  My heart and mind is not open but is rather closed in the walls of my upper room for fear of losing what I think that I have.  Repent and be converted, Peter offers today, now.  And Jesus breathes his Peace upon me when I say Yes.

Action
We have so many opportunities to hear the silence of Christ’s abiding peace.  In your prayer time, during the Eucharist, as you confess in Reconciliation still your own voice of fear, opinions, bias, anger or the distraction of idols.  Hear Jesus’ peace and joyfully repent, gladly accept.

Illustration:  “Pax”, Pater Karl Sadler, OSB http://www.paterkarlstadler.com/kunst/?linolschnitt

No comments: