Thursday, May 23, 2019

“Let God Fulfill Your Deepest Desires” by Beth DeCristofaro


“Let God Fulfill Your Deepest Desires” by Beth DeCristofaro


(Peter said) My brothers, you are well aware that from early days God made his choice among you that through my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the Gospel and believe. And God, who knows the heart, bore witness by granting them the Holy Spirit just as he did us. He made no distinction between us and them, for by faith he purified their hearts. (Acts 15:7-9)

Jesus said to his disciples: “As the Father loves me, so I also love you.
Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in his love.
(John 15:9-10)

Piety
May my joy be in you, O Jesus, and may my joy be complete.

Study
Stubbornness runs in my family. For me I tend to want my own way, always to be right, to keep things unchanging, to know all the answers – unless I don’t know them then I can be even more intransigent! Being fixated on my own desires stunts me. When I replace God’s will for me with what I want I cannot honor important relationships including my connection to God. After all, I like my own voice which is so informed, rational, benevolent. Yet when I am so obstinate, even when fighting for what is right, I can’t hear God’s voice anymore.

The early Christians were embroiled in important discussions about their nascent faith community, how faith was to be understood and lived. Today our nation is embroiled in disputes about important moral and values matters. Peter broke through the adamant arguments reminding the community that God “purified” the hearts of Gentiles. Jesus, again and again, reminded his disciples and reminds us that the Word was from God not from him and that he was one with God. Jesus reminded them that he was bringing them (and us) into oneness with God. God’s commandment? Love – which includes loving those who do not agree with us.

Henri Nouwen wrote: “But God is love, only love, and God’s Spirit is the Spirit of love longing to guide us to the place where the deepest desires of our heart can be fulfilled. Often we ourselves do not even know what our deepest desire is. We so easily get entangled in our own lust and anger, mistakenly assuming that they tell us what we really want. The Spirit of love says: ‘Don’t be afraid to let go of your need to control your own life. Let me fulfill the true desire of your heart.’[i]

Action
We can only listen when we still ourselves in body, in mind, in emotions. Bring to mind a relationship which is obstructed with human will. Bring this situation, the other person perhaps, into your prayer and listen, listen for God’s will. Give over to God any need to control your own life in this matter. God’s peace and joy – even should the situation continue to be fraught - will fill you when you hear the answer.


[i] Nouwen, Henri in Here and Now, quoted in Give Us This Day: Daily Prayer for Today’s Catholics, Liturgical Press, May 2019, p. 215.

No comments: