Thursday, June 20, 2019

“He Knows You” by Beth DeCristofaro


“He Knows You” by Beth DeCristofaro


I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart
in the company and assembly of the just.
Great are the works of the LORD,
exquisite in all their delights.
R. Your works, O Lord, are justice and truth.
(Psalm 111:1b-2, 7-8, 7a)

Jesus said to his disciples: "In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.  (Matthew 6:7-8)

Piety

Study
Communicating across centuries of culture, language shift, and intense beliefs can be difficult hence we often have heated debates about translations of Scripture today.  Language is so foundational to who we are, how we wish to be seen and understood, and how to impart valued knowledge.  In prayer, we balance between rigid formulaic recitation and off the cuff conversations with God.

Last year the revision of a line in The Lord’s Prayer which is oftentimes translated into English as: “and lead us not into temptation” was approved by the Vatican.   Pope Francis, when asked about the recent adoption of French wording: “do not let us enter into temptation” [i] stated “The French have changed the text and their translation says “don't let me fall into temptation, ‘. . . It's me who falls. It's not Him who pushes me into temptation, as if I fell. A father doesn't do that. A father helps you to get up right away. The one who leads to temptation is Satan.’”[ii]  Spanish and Portuguese wording is very similar to this revised phrasing already.

Historically, the beautiful prayer originated in two different versions in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke who, decades after Jesus spoke in Aramaic wrote the words down for particular audiences. The version of the prayer we cite today was originally written in Greek.  Words matter more than mere linguistics.   Bishop Serge Poitras of Timmons, Ontario, clarified "The Our Father prayer builds an image of God. A passage like this ('do not let us enter into temptation') can be an opportunity for reflection for communities or families on its underlying image of God," he said. "Does the image of a God who wants to tempt his children match what the Gospel proclaims? The (translation) issue may seem trivial, but ... it shapes our image of God. The ritual builds the person. The “Our Father” prayer builds our faith and our way of living our faith."[iii]

Words do matter, Jesus knew that!  Yet specific words are part of a certain time and place.  Can they lead me to the inspiration of God’s truth underlying them?  Can we hear these words as ways to put into action the two greatest commandments:  Love God above all and Love your neighbor as yourself?

Action
What does the Lord’s Prayer speak to you?  Today for me I reflect:

Our Father, who art in heaven – God is not only Creator and “first Mover” but also as close as a nurturing, embracing, judging, critiquing, adjudicating, modeling parent.  And He chose us.

Hallowed be thy name – we approach, on bended knee, in meek awe.

Thy kingdom come – Yes!  It comes!  A promise that the Kingdom is heralded despite the mess in which we individually and collectively find ourselves.

Thy will be done – Because I can help the kingdom, it starts with me but not of my own making.  Sometimes I will add in a small voice “by me today” as I pray this phrase.

On Earth, as it is in heaven – We aren’t in this alone!  We are part of a glorious universe with centuries of those who have gone before and eons of spiritual helpers.

Give us this day our daily bread – Remind me to trust in you, Lord, that you will give me what I need and what I need is bread, your nourishment, not necessary a Porsche.

And forgive us our trespasses – Oh, please, yes, my sins and those of my collective neighbors, forgive me.

As we forgive those who trespass against us – Help me in my weaknesses and sinfulness to offer mercy more as you would do that as I would like to do.

And lead us not into temptation – I know that if I followed your lead more closely, you would always steer me to the good.

But deliver us from evil – Evil takes many forms. In spite of evil in my life and in the church, the country, the world I call home, I trust that I can hold fast to you.  I know you are holding fast to me.

Amen – Yes!

No comments: