Thursday, June 06, 2019

“Living and Moving within the Divine Dance” by Beth DeCristofaro


“Living and Moving within the Divine Dance” by Beth DeCristofaro


Then (the commander) brought Paul down and made him stand before them. Paul was aware that some were Sadducees and some Pharisees, so he called out before the Sanhedrin, "My brothers, I am a Pharisee, the son of Pharisees; I am on trial for hope in the resurrection of the dead." When he said this, a dispute broke out between the Pharisees and Sadducees, and the group became divided. (Acts 22:30, 23:6-7)

Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed saying: "I pray not only for these but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, (John 17:20-22)

Piety



Study
Paul and the disciples were often dragged off and confined in ways we will never experience.  But we, too experience unlooked-for obstacles and limits – illness, fears, biases, rigid expectations, addictions, natural disasters, overinflated egos … the list is long as the human condition is fraught.  Jesus comes to set us free on so many levels if we can see beyond our own shackles.  Paul’s vision of Christ is much bigger and deeper than the Pharisee’s and Sadducees’ understanding of God.  They lose focus on what is important as they debate their own human-made details.  They cannot envision the promise of life with God which Paul preaches.  Paul understood what Jesus told his disciples – they (we) are one with the Divine by God’s invitation and Christ’s mediation. 

Richard Rohr encourages us to consider the mystery of the Trinity not as an intimidating concept beyond us but rather as an invitation to endless new understandings of what is not knowable.  He quotes Carl McColman: “God is in us because we are in Christ.  As members of the mystical body, Christians actually partake in the divine nature of the Trinity.  We do not merely watch the dance; we dance the dance.  We join hands with Christ and the Spirit flows through us and between us and our feet move always in the loving embrace of the Father.  In that we are members of the mystical body of Christ, we see the joyful love of the Father through the eyes of the Son and with every breath, we breathe the Holy Spirit.”[i]    

The leaders of the temple and too often myself did not accept the invitation to become “A partner in the divine dance … who agrees to stand in the mutual relationship that God is – the relationship that Gods has already and gratuitously drawn us into.” (R. Rohr)

Action
How might I best embody, day to day, my dynamic dance with the God who Is and who brought me into a relationship before my human awareness began?  Am I short-changing myself because I get myself caught in the details of rules, expectations, systems, self-centered perspectives, the “should” and the “should not?”  Give away all that is yours and follow Him into the Dance.

[i]Trinity:  Week 2 The Body of Christ, Richard Rohr, March 9, 2017 https://cac.org/the-body-of-christ-2017-03-09/

No comments: