Saturday, June 22, 2019

My Grace Is Sufficient


My Grace Is Sufficient


[B]ut he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 COR 12:9-10

“But seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides. Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil."  Matthew 6:33-34

Piety
If I were a rich man,
Yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
If I were a biddy biddy rich,
Idle-diddle-daidle-daidle man.

I'd build a big tall house with rooms by the dozen,
Right in the middle of the town.
A fine tin roof with real wooden floors below.
There would be one long staircase just going up,
And one even longer coming down,
And one more leading nowhere, just for show.

Study
As I inch closer to completing my 62nd revolution around the sun, thoughts turn more to retirement planning than to worry about the next restricting at the office.  Have we saved enough?  What will we do for healthcare? Where will we live? 

Years ago, we worried about saving for the college educations of our daughters.  Or paying off the car loan or refinancing the mortgage at a lower rate to save money. Or shopping at Costco to make the grocery bills go further.

Yet today, we are warned not to worry about such things. This is like that part of the Gospel where Christ warns the rich man that he has to give up everything he owns for the Gospel. Yikes!  I even know retired priests who have retirement homes near the beach.

These are – for me – some of the hardest passages of the Gospel to comprehend. It’s not like we can all run away and live our retirement in a monastery or convent.

As Tevye says: You made many, many poor people.  I realize, of course, it’s no shame to be poor. But it’s no great honor either. So, what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?  

Action
 Most Americans vastly underestimate how rich they are compared with the rest of the world. After adjusting for cost-of-living differences, a typical American still earns an income that is 10 times the income received by the typical person in the world.[i]

According to the research done for the above reference, the average U.S. resident estimated that the global median individual income is about $20,000 a year. In fact, the real answer is about a tenth of that figure: roughly $2,100 per year. Similarly, Americans typically place themselves in the top 37 percent of the world’s income distribution. However, the vast majority of U.S. residents rank comfortably in the top 10 percent.

In light of facts like these, it makes it a little easier to contemplate a future without money woes here than if living at an average salary somewhere else around the world.

However, we also need to square our financial performance with the Gospel and develop a sense of justice with what we do with our vast fortunes.  Even today, the average sermon only touches on money when the pastor or bishop is making a pitch for the Bishop’s Lenten Appeal or some other need of the church.  We skip over the broader implications of today’s Gospel.

How can we more fully rely upon God and His sufficient grace and less on the Social Security Administration or Vanguard or Bank of America or Wall Street?

No comments: