Sunday, June 23, 2019

Reach to The Ends of the Earth


Reach to The Ends of the Earth


Piety
It is too little, he says, for you to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel; I will make you a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth. Isaiah 49:6

So, they made signs, asking his father what he wished him to be called. He asked for a tablet and wrote, "John is his name," and all were amazed. Immediately his mouth was opened, his tongue freed, and he spoke blessing God. Luke 1:62-64

Study
The servant’s vocation (we learn in the notes to the NABRE) extends beyond the restoration of Israel in order to bring the knowledge of Israel’s God to the rest of the earth. Isaiah’s prophecy echoes when Joseph and Mary engage Simeon and Anna in the temple.  The encounter with Baby Jesus frees Simeon from his temple-vigil:

“Now, Master, you may let your servant go in peace, according to your word, for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you prepared in sight of all the peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and glory for your people Israel.” Luke 2:29-32

While Isaiah 49 foretells the truth Jesus will bring to the world, this selection on the Nativity of John the Baptist paves the way for Jesus to come along.

Action
Replace the “you” in Isaiah’s reading with your own name and the passage takes on a whole new meaning in our action.

It is too little, he says, for Anthony to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel; I will make Anthony a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.

It is too little, he says, for Beth to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel; I will make Beth a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.

It is too little, he says, for Melanie to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel; I will make Melanie a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.

It is too little, he says, for Michael to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel; I will make Michael a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.   

Try it. You may never think about the ACTION leg of the Cursillo Tripod the same way ever again.

No comments: