Wednesday, June 12, 2019

“The Simple Truth!” by Wayne Miller


“The Simple Truth!” by Wayne Miller


“…our qualification comes from God, who…qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of letter but of spirit; for the letter brings death, but the Spirit brings life.” (Corinthians 3:4-11)

“Teach me your paths, my God, and guide me in your truth.” (Psalm 25:4b, 5a)

 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets.  I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.” (Matthew 5:17-19)

Piety
Father God, thank you for always being with me.  Give me Your eyes to see, Your ears to hear, Your heart to feel, and Your voice to speak Love to my brothers and sisters.

Study
Only a couple of weeks ago, I reflected on the first “council” of Jerusalem and was somewhat flip about how we are a curious tribe that insists on making up rules (commandments?) to circumscribe our lives and identify the “good” and the “bad”.

Why isn’t it enough just to follow the “Great Commandment”?  Why do we need 613 laws or 2800+ paragraphs or even just 10 commandments, when Jesus said one would do – “Love God with all your heart, and your neighbor as yourself?”

St Paul takes a pretty hard line today:
LAW=DEATH, JESUS=LIFE!!

My favorite theologian, Friar Richard Rohr would call this hard-core dualistic thinking.  Maybe Paul hadn’t gotten Matthew’s text quoting Jesus.  Oh, the conundrum: trust the secure boundaries of rules or trust that God’s Love, living and flowing through us, will never be wrong.

Then, in our Gospel, Jesus validates everything – down to the “smallest part of a letter…” of the law!!  But – He promises to fulfill it!  His Spirit will illuminate every little nook and cranny, making it come alive in our hearts; converting the death of legal transgression into the joy of Jesus’ vision in every situation and creature connection. 

Wow! The Law and the Spirit are living together in complete harmony!  Do you think this was what our Loving Creator had in mind all along???

Action
What are the rules that I bristle against?  Can I stop and ask the Lord to show me His Love and Spirit – exactly in the center of the thing that I want to reject.  I’m pretty sure that my fearful, judgmental humanity is not wise or patient or open enough for the task.

Jesus had an answer for that too: “…for man it is not possible.  But for God, all things are possible.”  If I can just remember to step back and take a deep breath, then ask Jesus what He wants me to learn in this situation and wait in contemplative listening. Amazing things happen in my mind and heart! 

Law and Joy living in beautiful unity – and I discover myself: the secure, innocent, child in their midst, enveloped by a Loving Christ. If the Holy Spirit can live in me, he can live in every person and situation. My call is to claim Christ’s fulfillment and live it.

De Colores!

No comments: