Sunday, October 20, 2019

Persistent Loving! By Wayne Miller


Persistent Loving! By Wayne Miller


Meanwhile, Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side and one on the other, so that his hands remained steady till sunset. And Joshua mowed down Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword. (Exodus 17:8-13)

Our help is from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. The Lord is your guardian; the Lord is your shade; he is beside you at your right hand. (Psalm 121)

Beloved: Remain faithful to what you have learned and believed… All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that one who belongs to God may be competent, equipped for every good work. (Letter to Timothy 3:14 – 4:2)

The word of God is living and effective, discerning reflections and thoughts of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

The Lord said, “Pay attention to what the dishonest judge says. Will not God then secure the rights of his chosen ones who call out to him day and night? Will he be slow to answer them? I tell you; he will see to it that justice is done for them speedily. But when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?” (Luke 18:1 – 8)

Piety
Father God, thank you for offering me Your eyes to see, Your ears to hear, Your heart to feel, and Your voice to speak Love to my brothers and sisters.  And thank you for choosing to always be at my side, even when I don’t choose to be with you.

Study
Unlike Joshua, I have never “mowed down’ an invading army, but I am constantly in awe and thanksgiving for the brothers and sisters that appear at precisely the right moment to support my weary arms and get me through the next challenge of the day.

I have been LOVED repeatedly by God and His Children – even when I wasn’t in a particularly good relationship with them – even when I didn’t really “like” them at the moment. The Psalmist knew this.  We are all God’s arms and hands and voices.
When I feel the most tired or lifeless or disinterested, I realize THAT is the time to hang on to the core elements of my faith. Paul had great advice for Timothy: never stop doing the things that build a relationship with God and your brothers and sisters! I don’t always recognize my blessings in bright, immediate flashes. So often, I don’t see the loving until I look back and realize how I was blessed. A lifetime of practice seems to be reducing the “epiphany delay,” but I always need to see it through the loving lens of Jesus’ eyes.  My life-learned lesson is that it takes constant practice.

I wish St. Luke hadn’t chosen to describe Jesus’ lessons by using bad actors (dishonest judges, greedy stewards, and others). I would much rather ignore the ne’er-do-wells and spend my precious time contemplating the loving heart of Jesus. But there they are – Jesus telling me there are all kinds of ways to spread His Love. Maybe I don’t like the grumpy/greedy ones because the description hits way to close to home!

Despite all the grumpy/greedy ones, I know with complete certainty that the Son of Man delights in the faith that He finds each day in each one of us – whether I am full and robust or meager and shaky at any given moment. In every circumstance, our faith is sufficient, even if we’re not moving mountains or slaying armies. Sometimes my faith is just enough to know that Jesus is with me when I am most alone and vulnerable. It is in those quiet, empty times that I often feel best-loved.

Action
Dorothy Day said, “We only love God as much as we love the most unlovable person in our life.”

I know that to be true.  I persistently pray for God’s miracle of seeing how He loves that person so that I can pass His love on to them.

May we all experience His Presence every day, encouraging and leading us to Love all His Children.

De Colores!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

So beautifully written and speaks to my heart— esp the Action section. Thank you Wayne!